[OccupyCU] Some lyrics & music for the road...

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat May 19 06:10:17 UTC 2012

Five songs here.  Maybe we can try to sing one or two of them on Sunday!

    Phil Ochs, *"I Ain't a Marchin' Anymore"*
    Country Joe McDonald, *"I Feel Like I'm Fixin to Die Rag"*
    Buffy St. Marie, *"Universal Soldier"*
    Woody Guthrie, *"Union Maid"*
    Malvina Reynolds, *"Andorra"*  (fun - and unfamiliar but pretty simple)

Too good not to sing to NATO at least part of this one:

*"I Ain't a Marchin' Anymore"*
    -- Phil Ochs

A recording by Ochs, from 1968:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYptL0A5DXY

I marched to the battle of New Orleans
At the end of the early British war
A young land was a-growin', the young blood started flowin'
But I ain't marchin' anymore

I killed my share of Indians in a thousand different fights
I was there at the Little Big Horn
I saw many men a-lyin', I saw many more a dyin',
But I ain't marchin' anymore

'Cause its always the old who lead us off to war
Always the young to fall
Take a look at what we've won with a saber and a gun
Tell me was it worth it all?

And I stole California from the Mexican land
I fought in the bloody Civil War
I even killed my brothers and so many others
But I ain't marchin' anymore

And I flew the final mission over Japanese skies
Set off that mighty mushroom roar
When I saw those cities burning I knew that I was learnin'
That I ain't marchin' anymore

Now the congressmen are screamin' as they close the missile plant
United Fruit screams at the Cuban shore
Call it peace or call it treason, call it love or call it reason
But I ain't marchin' any more

===================================

*"I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag"*
    -- Country Joe McDonald

Recording of his performance here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7-ngmO_p8

[I wonder if we could sing out "Afghanistan" in place of "Vietnam"! -SL]

Come on all of you big strong men
Uncle Sam needs your help again
He's got himself in a terrible jam
'Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books & pick up a gun
We're gonna have a whole lot of fun!

And it's 1, 2, 3, what are we fighting for?
Don't ask me I don't give a damn - next stop is Vietnam
And it's 5, 6, 7, open up the pearly gates
There ain't no time to wonder why - Whoopie, we're all gonna die!

Come on generals, let's move fast
Your big chance has come at last
Now you can go out & get those Reds
The only good Commie is one that's dead
You know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come!

Come on Wall Street, don't be slow
Why, man, this is war A-go-go
There's plenty good money to be made
Supplying the army with tools of the trade
Just hope & pray if the drop the Bomb
They drop it on the Viet Cong!

Come on, mothers, throughout the land
Pack your boys off to Vietnam
Come on, fathers, don't hesitate
Send your ons off before it's too late
You can be the first one on your block
To have your boy come home in a box

===========================
*"Universal Soldier"*
   -- Buffy St. Marie

With a recording of her performing it for the CBC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyNLN-cKsp8&feature=fvst
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyNLN-cKsp8&feature=fvst>

He's 5 feet 2 and he's 6 feet 4
He fights with missiles and with spears
He's all of 31, and he's only 17
He's been a soldier for a thousand years

He's a Catholic, a Hindu, an atheist, a Jain
A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew
And he knows he shouldn't kill and he knows he always will
Kill you for me, my friend, and me for you

And he's fighting for Canada, he's fighting for France
He's fighting for the U.S.A.
And he's fighting for the Russians, he's fighting for Japan
And he thinks we'll put an end to war that way

And he's fighting for democracy, he's fighting for the Reds
He says it's for the peace of all
He's the one who must decide who's to live and who's to die
And he never sees the writing on the wall

But without him, how would Hitler have condemned him at Dachau?
Without him Caesar would have stood alone
He's the one who gives his body as the weapon of the war
And without him all this killing can't go on

He's the universal soldier and he really is to blame
His orders come from far away no more
They come from him and you and me and people can't you see
This is not the way we put an end to war

=====================================

"Union Maid"
   -- Woody Guthrie

Here's Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie singing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuK4m3UzRk

There once was a union maid
   who never was afraid
of goons & ginks & company finks &
   the deputy sheriffs who made the raids
She went to the union hall
   when a meeting it was called
And when the company boys came 'round
   she always stood her ground

*O you can't scare me, I'm sticking to the union
   I'm sticking to the union, I'm sticking to the union
   O you can't scare me, I'm sticking to the union
   I'm sticking to the union 'till the day I die.
*
This union maid was wise to the tricks of company spies
She never got fooled by a company stool
   she'd always organize the guys
She always got her way
   when she struck for higher pay
She'd show her card to the company guard
& this is what she'd say

*[refrain]*

You women who want to be free
   take a little tip from me
Break outa that mold we've all been sold
   you got a fighting his-to-ree
The fight for women's rights
   with workers must unite
Like Mother Jones, move those bones
   to the front of every fight

============================

"Andorra"
   - Malvina Reynolds; music by Pete Seeger

performance by one Raymond Crooke at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48UTjHFsm8

I want to go to Andorra, Andorra, Andorra
I want to go to Andorra, it's a place that I adore
They spend $4 and 90c on armaments and their defense
Did you ever hear of such confidence? Andorra, hip hurrah!

In the mountains of the Pyrenees there's an independent state
Its population 5000 souls & I think they're simply great
One hundred seventy square miles big & it's awf'lly dear to me
Spends less than $5 on armaments & this I've got to see

It's governed by a council, all gentle souls & wise
They've only $5 for armaments & the rest for cakes & pies
They didn't invest in a tommy-gun or a plane to sweep the sky
But they bought some blanks for their cap pistols to shoot on their 4th
of July

They live by the arts of farm & field & by making shoes & hats
And they haven't got room in their tiny land for a horde of diplomats
They haven't got room in their tiny land for armies to march about
And if anyone comes with a war budget, they throw the rascals out!

//

I wandered down by the Pentagon, this newspaper clipping in hand
I hollered "I want to see everyone in MacNamara's band"
I said "Look what they did in Andorra, they put us all to shame
The least is first, the biggest is last, let's get there just the same"

The general said, "My dear boy[girl], you just don't understand
We need those things to feel secure in our great & wealthy land"
I said, "If security's what you need I'll get a couch for you
A headshrinker is cheaper & quicker & a damn sight safer too!