[OccupyCU] on strife - Jesse Francis' presentation, communication patterns, trust, & flame warring

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 12:33:48 UTC 2012

I'd like to back off a bit and look at how we've been discussing Jesse's
presentation & OccupyCU.  What I see:

    - Jesse asked to come and speak to Occupy on Monday.   He told us
about his well-visited website, featuring many dozens of subjects from
the Iraq war to colony collapse disorder to the LIBOR scandal, but most
prominently about 9/11 truth.  He offered its services, if OccupyCU
wants them.   We asked him some questions.  We deliberately (thank you
Susan!) postponed any discussion of whether we considered taking up his
offer to be a good idea.

    - Scott, who wasn't present but read about this offer, made a
connection which must be incandescently strong to him - between the 9/11
truth movement and neo-nazi sympathies.   I'd never heard of this
association before.  None of the people I've talked to who were at the
meeting had, either.

Then what?   How the conversation *might* have gone:

    Scott:  Is OccupyCU seriously considering associating itself with
this web site?   Were people aware of this connection?   Look at A, B,
and C on that site if you don't believe me.   I say we should have
nothing to do with this.

    Any of us might have replied:   That is news to me.    Thank you for
raising it.   We've had little discussion and no decision, but this will
be important when we do.

What happened instead?    I'm guessing that, Scott, you assumed we did
know, and we (a) didn't care and (b) were happily going forward.   And
further, that you *expected* not to be heard. Right?

If so it reflects an alarming distrust of the group.  Where has that led
us?    Accusations have flown.  We've had *27* messages on this topic
yesterday.   At least two people have dropped off the list.  I don't
think we've made any progress toward anything that Occupy stands for.

Worse, I think this discussion has deepened what mistrust there had
been.   That is a terribly destructive thing for a group.   What can we
do to heal it?

Yesterday's flames were also a distraction from the really fine
presentation we heard from Francisco Baires in the latter part of
Monday's meeting.  He talked about Johan Galtung's theory of hierarchies
of violence, direct and cultural and structural; how movements -
particularly the immigration rights movement - can form effective
experience.   This is 'way more fruitfully consequential. Let's talk
about that!