[OccupyCU] My Resignation From the Occupy CU Listserv

Sarah Lazare sarah.lazare at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:47:02 UTC 2012

I'm sad to say that I'd like to be removed from this list, following in the
footsteps of several young, female organizers I know. I am concerned that
this list is not enacting the policies and practices I want to bring into
the world.

To protect and build horizontal organizing, it is crucial to set guidelines
and practices to ensure that our spaces of deliberation are safe for all to
participate in. The absence of this will mean that people who don't want to
wake up with bigoted, potentially triggering emails in their inboxes will
simply be excluded from the conversation by opting out. This erodes
democracy, as well as the creativity and brilliance that comes when people
collectively work and think together.

Of course we can't and don't want to control what people say, and we will
fuck up - I certainly have. However, we have to at least be trying to push
back against bigotry - to identify and act on opportunities for political
education and collective growth. We are being internally inconsistent if we
are not trying. On this listserv, the bigoted voices are allowed to
dominate unchecked. In fact, it is a hostile environment for expressing
discomfort about oppressive dynamics - those who speak up are put in the
same box as those who offended.

It is a relief to me that Jesse and others were not aware of 9-11 Truth's
fascist ties. I will assume best intentions on that front. However, we are
all responsible for the organizations we endorse and work with: it is our
responsibility to look into an organization's politics before joining. So
it is completely justified that Scott would react with outrage upon seeing
a 9-11 Truth email. I would hope folks agree that outrage is an appropriate
response to suggestions of cooperating with fascist front groups. 9-11
Truth has documented fascist ties, and organizations throughout the U.S.
have chosen to cut off any association with them on these grounds. We're
not the only ones having this conversation.

The bigger issue is the pattern of bigoted statements and attacks that
persist on this listserv. Expressing anger at bigotry is healthy, natural,
and an important part of building accountable community: it must not be
equated with bigotry itself. Instances of sexism, anti-semitism, racism,
etc. do real damage: they are a big deal. Framing this in terms of
why-can't-we-all-just-get-along blames those speaking out against bigotry
for being "divisive" and fails to take responsibility for the political
content of what's going on. As organizers we are challenged to think
critically and politically.

Waking up with a bigoted email in my inbox can ruin my whole day. Seeing
that email go unchallenged adds to my sadness. It feels bad not to respond
to emails that attack friends, comrades, strangers, or myself in an
oppressive manner. It also feels bad to respond on this listserv, because
it is not a supportive environment for doing so. My only choice is to leave
this listserv.

It sounds like the conversation with Francisco and others was really great
and inspiring, and it seems that a rebirth of Occupy is in the works. I'm
sending wishes for community-building, growth, and success as we take on
the big monsters of capitalism and injustice that we're all up against.
Although this online forum is not a productive space for me to be a part
of, I hold out hope that when we see each other in person, we are able to
find footing rooted in solidarity, respect, and justice.

With Hope,
Sarah Lazare