[OccupyCU] [sf-core] Another Guantánamo prisoner death highlights Democrats' hypocrisy

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:16:45 UTC 2012

I must share this...

I've been both terribly bored and fairly annoyed at how this Occupy
listserv is being used. I am someone that cannot regularly attend Occupy
meetings and for me, it's important to be able to stay connected, but what
is Occupy here--in this communication space? What is worth occupying? There
is nothing revolutionary about conversations here. I can listen to white
men man'splain in desperate pissing contests virtually anywhere--that's
what patriarchy continues to afford me. I'm tired of having to ask men in
the movement to *check their privilege.* It shouldn't have to be asked-- I
hear men in the movement say they want revolution, but I don't see
willingness to do the work. We are failing to model what we seek. We need
more imagination than this. We can do better.

   - We can value dialogue over debate. Modeling that we're a community of
   people seeking understanding, rather than trying to get their word in
   edgewise. Those with privilege in the movement (men, white folks, etc.) can
   step back, make space, talk less/listen more. This isn't hard to do and
   makes a world of difference. (Just count the number of women, people of
   color, etc. actively engaged on these C-U activist lists or being listened
   to at meetings and you'll see how deep this problem is.)
   - We can "check each other" in an act of care. Knowing that we're not
   perfect, but we're trying and we have a responsibility to help one another
   grow where possible. We can tell those who are dominating conversation to
   step back, to ask for clarification, and to listen.
   - We can reject "occupation" as our language in solidarity with native
   peoples all over North America. We can privilege people of color and
   women's voices--knowing these voices ought to drive the movement that seeks
   decolonization and an end to marginalization.
   - We can spend more time imagining what we want, alternatives, and *raging
   where it matters!*

In the past month alone, I've witnessed a silencing conversation around the
rape allegations facing Assange that signals to me--as a woman--that the
same men that say they care about women in the movement are no where to be
found when it comes time to stand up against violence against women. I've
been to meetings where women's voices were rarely heard--and I know my
sisters had plenty to say!

I am reminded of Adrienne Rich who cautioned a white-led feminist movement,
"Without addressing the whiteness of white feminism, our movement will turn
in on itself and collapse."

There are other voices we need in this space. This local organizing will
not last unless we turn our attention to these matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_s3X0uW9Ec&feature=player_embedded

love and rage,

RS