[OccupyCU] Fwd: TAKE ACTION: Proposed water sale PUBLIC MEETING

s.hansen at comcast.net s.hansen at comcast.net
Mon Apr 29 15:18:49 UTC 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Prairie Rivers Network" <Prairie_Rivers_Network at mail.vresp.com>
To: "s hansen" <s.hansen at comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 7:02:17 AM
Subject: TAKE ACTION: Proposed water sale PUBLIC MEETING

Click to view this email in a browser

PRAIRIE RIVERS NETWORK

Prairie Rivers Network is Illinois' advocate for clean water and healthy rivers.

UCSD Public Meeting: Proposed Water Sale to Fertilizer Plant & Coal Mine

When:  Wednesday, May 8, 6:30 pm
Where: UCSD Urbana sewage treatment plant, 1100 E. University Ave, Urbana

The Urbana Champaign Sanitary District (UCSD) is considering selling large amounts of water from its Urbana and Savoy sewage treatment plants to Cronus Chemical, a company proposing a $1.2 billion fertilizer plant in Tuscola, IL. UCSD is also exploring a water sale to Hallador Energy’s Sunrise Coal, the company that is trying to develop the proposed "Bulldog" coal mine near Homer, IL .

UCSD’s water discharges, commonly referred to as “effluent,” now flow from the Urbana sewage treatment plant to the Salt Fork of the Vermilion River, and from the Savoy plant to Copper Slough and eventually, the Kaskaskia River.  The water sales would change the flows in these streams significantly.

Much is at stake in this contemplated water sale including the health of our streams, the sustainability of our community water supply, and the health of our local economies.  Prairie Rivers Network does not believe the UCSD Board has considered the full ramifications of these sales. The District should not be rushing into contracts that promise our water to outside, water-intensive industries.  The District is holding a public meeting on May 8th at the Urbana treatment plant. Please join us for a full, open and informed discussion.

Please join us at the public meeting on May 8th and ask your friends and colleagues to join us as well.

For more information, contact Kim Knowles:

kknowles [at] prairierivers [dot]org

Click here to forward this email to a friend
Prairie Rivers Network
1902 Fox Drive, Suite G
Champaign, Illinois 61820
US

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy. 	Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!