[OccupyCU] Fwd: Stop Sunrise Coal from opening Bulldog Mine

s.hansen at comcast.net s.hansen at comcast.net
Wed Feb 6 15:49:55 UTC 2013

FYI

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Susan Forsyth" <moveon-help at list.moveon.org>
To: "Sandra Hansen" <s.hansen at comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:04:24 AM
Subject: Stop Sunrise Coal from opening Bulldog Mine

Below is an email from Susan Forsyth, a MoveOn member in Homer, Illinois, who created a petition on SignOn.org, the nonprofit site that allows anyone to start their own online petition. If you have concerns or feedback about this petition, click here .

Dear Illinois MoveOn member,

Sunrise Coal, LLC is pushing to open a mining operation in Vermilion County and part of Champaign County. Sunrise's plan is to purchase all of their water from Homer, where I live, or take from the Salt Fork River. The water would be used for showering as well as washing the extracted coal to put in a permanent slurry pond.

There are numerous catastrophes that could happen during this process, not to mention the guaranteed devastation of farmland. The IEPA has shown repeatedly that it cannot keep up with enforcing regulations—just look at the ongoing pollution in Murdock!

We in Homer, along with the majority of farmers who would be affected, are against this plan. But the decision isn't up to us; rather, the six men on the Homer Village Board will be making this very important choice without a public vote. We need to make them understand that stopping this mine would help keep our water, air, and land free from harmful pollutants.

That's why I created a petition on SignOn . org to the Illinois Legislature and Governor Pat Quinn, which says:

Stop the proposed Bulldog Mine in East Central Illinois.

Click here to add your name to this petition, and then pass it along to your friends.

Thanks!

–Susan Forsyth

This petition was created on SignOn.org, the progressive, nonprofit petition site. SignOn.org is sponsored by MoveOn Civic Action, which is not responsible for the contents of this or other petitions posted on the site. Susan Forsyth didn't pay us to send this email—we never rent or sell the MoveOn.org list.

Want to support our work? MoveOn Civic Action is entirely funded by our 7 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
This email was sent to Sandra Hansen on February 6, 2013. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here . To remove yourself from this list, click here .