[OccupyCU] Fwd: Still Time for Homer to Say No to Coal Mine

s.hansen at comcast.net s.hansen at comcast.net
Sat Jan 12 14:38:23 UTC 2013

FYI

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Jonathan Ashbrook" <jonashbrook at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 8:28:57 PM
Subject: Still Time for Homer to Say No to Coal Mine

Greetings,

I hate to have to e-mail you again so soon in the new year.  However, now is the time for action and we are presented with the possibility of dramatically slowing Sunrise Coal's plans next week.

At the January 3rd meeting of the Homer water committee, Sunrise Coal stunned the audience by announcing that they were now seeking 10,000-20,000 gallons per day of treated water - that's 5-10 times as much treated water as they had asked for in December! There is still time for the Homer Village Board to act to protect our farmland and local water resources by voting no on any proposed water or sewer sales with Sunrise Coal.

Please plan to attend the upcoming meetings at the Homer Village Hall (500 East 2nd Street in Homer) and let the Village Board know you support protecting our water and farmland from this coal mine. On Monday, January 1 4th, 20 1 3, the Village Board will meet at 7:00 pm to to vote on a draft contract to provide treated water and sewer services to Sunrise's proposed coal mine ( see agenda ).

Any deal now could open the door to future sales of hundreds of thousands of gallons per day of untreated water for washing coal - a sale that threatens to diminish water supplies and would send polluted mine water into the Salt Fork River. Homer trustees should send a strong message in support of productive farmland and clean water.

A recent News-Gazette article highlights the pollution that has taken place at the old Murdock Mine in nearby Newman, where slow reclamation and waste disposal have continued to impact local air and water quality long after the coal mine shut down. Is this what we want for Homer?

ACT NOW: If you haven't already, please contact your Village Board members today and ask them to vote no on any water or sewer deal with Sunrise Coal.

    • Ray Cunningham, (2 1 7) 896-2558 , raycunn at gmail.com
    • Guy James, (2 1 7) 896-2493 , guyjames47 at yahoo.com
    • Mike Johnson, buynowjohnson at yahoo.com
    • Kevin Knott, (2 1 7) 7 1 4-2290 , kwknott at aol.com
    • Larry Mingee, (2 1 7) 896-2487
    • Roy Woodmansee, (2 1 7) 896-2430

Sincerely,

Jonathan Ashbrook for Stand Up to Coal

Don't forget: updated information is always available at our website: http://www.standuptocoal.org

***
To unsubscribe from this email list, please reply to this email with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
***