[OccupyCU] Fw: Operative Of Walton Foundation For WalMart Family Pushing Charters and Privatization Appointed By Obama As White House Director

David Johnson dlj725 at hughes.net
Mon Mar 4 13:12:45 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Zeltzer
To: Undisclosed-recipients:
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2013 10:26 PM
Subject: Operative Of Walton Foundation For WalMart Family Pushing Charters and Privatization Appointed By Obama As White House Director

Operative Of Walton Foundation For WalMart Family Pushing Charters Appointed By Obama As White House Director
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-taps-sylvia-mathews-burwell-as-white-house-budget-director/2013/03/03/6bf10c12-8458-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394_story.html?hpid=z3
Obama taps Sylvia Mathews Burwell as White House budget director

Courtesy of Walmart - Sylvia Mathews Burwell.

By Philip Rucker, Sunday, March 3, 4:21 PM

President Obama on Monday will nominate Sylvia Mathews Burwell, head of Wal-Mart’s philanthropic efforts, as White House budget director, a senior administration official confirmed Sunday night.

Burwell, a veteran of President Bill Clinton’s economic team, will replace Jeffrey Zients as director of the Office of Management and Budget. She will bring gender diversity as well as corporate experience to Obama’s inner circle at a time of budget battles with Congress.

Burwell is president of the Wal-Mart Foundation, one of the nation’s biggest corporate philanthropies, which supports such initiatives as women’s economic empowerment, hunger relief and environmental sustainability.

In a statement Sunday, Mike Duke, president and chief executive of Wal-Mart, said, “Sylvia does a great job leading the Walmart Foundation, and if confirmed by the Senate, will do a tremendous job serving our country.”

Obama’s selection of a woman to fill one of his top economic positions comes after he faced criticism earlier in his second term for appointing men to many of his administration’s top posts, including White House Chief of Staff Denis R. McDonough, Secretary of State John F. Kerry, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Treasury Secretary Jack Lew.

In the 1990s, Burwell served as deputy budget director and deputy White House chief of staff. She also served as chief of staff for then-Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin. She joins Lew and National Economic Council Director Gene B. Sperling among other Clinton administration veterans on Obama’s economics team.

Obama plans to officially nominate Burwell on Monday, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because a formal announcement had not been made. News of Burwell’s selection was first reported Sunday by Reuters.

Discuss this topic and other political issues in the politics discussion forums.

Public Charter Startup Grant Program
http://www.waltonfamilyfoundation.org/grantees/public-charter-startup-grant-program

As part of the Walton Family Foundation K-12 Education Reform focus area, we invest in organizations and programs that empower parents to choose among high-performing schools and insert competition into public education.  The Public Charter Startup Grant program supports the creation of public charters by providing grants to school developers as they launch new schools. Grantees are school developers who primarily serve low-income children in our target geographies, and can demonstrate the capacity to dramatically raise student achievement. The grant program offers financial support to qualified schools during the authorization process and up to their first year of operation.

To find out if your organization would qualify to apply for a Public Charter Startup grant, and to learn about the application process through our partners, please review the "How To Apply" page.

If you are a current WFF school startup grantee, please review the "For Current Grantees" page.
Frequently Asked Questions

Eligibility/Referral

• What is the maximum base grant award available for the Startup Grant Program?

• Have basic eligibility requirements for the Startup Grants changed?

• Does the Walton Family Foundation still offer Planning Grants?

• What types of schools qualify for Startup Grants?

• How does Walton Family Foundation define eligible startup schools?

• Are facilities now eligible expenditures for Startup Grants?

• Is a referral required to complete a Startup Grant proposal/application?

• I don't see my state or district listed under target districts. Am I still eligible to receive an endorsement from a WFF program officer?

• When can a school developer apply for a pre-authorization grant?

• Are interviews required and when are they conducted?

• What about a post-authorization grant?

• What document qualifies for "proof of authorization?"

• Does the Walton Family Foundation fund alternative charter schools?"

• I currently have an existing school. Am I elgible for funding?"

Online Proposal Technical Support

• Who do I contact if I am experiencing technical difficulties using the online proposal?

• Can I save the proposal and come back to complete it another time?

• We are ready to submit the proposal and the submit button at the bottom of page 10 is inactive (or gray).

• We saved and exited the proposal, but did not receive an email confirmation with the password.

• We lost our Key and Password.

• The Key and Password from the confirmation email do not work.

• We are unable to expand the text boxes, how do we view the entire answer entry?

• How does the spell check function work?

• If our school is not affiliated with a grant partner, how do we complete the grant partner referral field on Page 1?

• I am working on two different applications. Why does it copy the information from one application to the other?

Online Proposal Content Support

• Our school is not affiliated with a WFF target geography, who is the contact if I have questions about the proposal?

• Who should serve as the applicant in Section 1?

Reporting

• When do I submit an expenditure report?

• Can I receive funding if an organization I am affiliated with has outstanding reports?

Eligibility/Referral

What is the maximum base grant award available for the Startup Grant Program?

$250,000 if formally authorized as a charter school.

Have basic eligibility requirements for the Startup Grants changed?

No.  Applicants must demonstrate the capacity to dramatically raise student achievement, serve at least 50% or more low-income students, serve students in our target geographies, and receive a referral from a grant partner or Walton Family Foundation.

Does Walton Family Foundation still offer Planning Grants?

Planning grants were discontinued in 2009 and are no longer available.

What types of schools qualify for Startup Grants?

Stand alone public charters and select Charter Management Organizations (CMOs).  If your school is affiliated with KIPP, Building Excellent Schools (BES), or the Charter School Growth Fund (CSGF) you may apply for funding via these organizations directly.

How does Walton Family Foundation define eligible startup schools?

- Schools waiting for authorization as a charter
- Newly authorized charters (no older than one year)
- Schools opening new, additional campus under an existing charter; or
- Existing schools that are expanding to serve incremental students with new programs and faculty on the same campus

Are facilities now eligible expenditures for Startup Grants?

Yes, at the discretion of the grant partner or program officer.

Is a referral required to complete a Startup Grant proposal/application?

Yes. Please refer to the "Seek A Referral" page and find the state your school is located in for contact information regarding eligibility and application for funding.

I don’t see my state or district listed under target districts. Am I still eligible to receive an endorsement from a WFF program officer?

No. To qualify for an endorsement from a WFF program officer or state association, a public charter school must be located in one of The Walton Family Foundation target districts. If your school is located in a state you do not see listed, your school would not be eligible to apply.

When can a school developer apply for a pre-authorization grant?

Applicants may receive up to $30,000 as early as 15 months before the school’s authorizer submission deadlines, however, a formal business plan and financials are just two of the required proposal attachments to qualify for an interview.

Are interviews required and when are they conducted?

Yes, an interview is required for receipt of Walton Family Foundation charter school funding.  Interviews are conducted by invitation only and coordinated through the grant partners or program officers.

What about a post-authorization grant?

The balance of $220,000 is available after providing proof of formal authorization (without an additional interview) if your school is already in receipt of a pre-authorization grant.  If this is the first time the developer is applying for funding of a new school and that school has already been authorized, an interview is required.

What document qualifies for "proof of authorization?"

If applying for a post-authorization or combo startup grant, the official signed document from your charter authorizer (state board, university, school district, etc.) stating you are a charter school under their jurisdiction, including the federal tax identification number qualifies as "proof of authorization." Minutes from authorizer board meetings cannot be accepted.

Does the Walton Family Foundation fund alternative charter schools?

The Walton Family Foundation can fund alternative charter schools.  However, those schools must meet our rigorous academic standards.

I currently have an exisiting school. Am I eligible for funding?

Grantees in certain geographies are eligible for additional funding. Contact your grant partner for more specific information.

Online Proposal Technical Support
Who do I contact if I am experiencing technical difficulties using the online proposal?

If you require technical assistance and your WFF Grant Partner is unable to assist, please contact WFF Technical Support Team:

Monday-Friday
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Central Time
phone: 479-464-1533

To submit your request via email, click here.

The WFF Technical Assistance team will respond to your concern within 24 hours.   If it is after close of business on Friday or a holiday, you will be contacted during normal office hours during the next business day.

Can I save the proposal and come back to complete it another time?

Yes, you can save and exit your proposal at any time.  Once you select “exit” an email will be sent to the contact email provided on the first page of the proposal.  The email will include the log in Key and Password to retrieve your proposal.

We are ready to submit the proposal and the submit button at the bottom of page 10 is inactive (or gray).

Make sure the check box at the bottom on page 10 is selected.  Once selected, the submit button will be activated.

We saved and exited the proposal, but did not receive an email confirmation with the password.

Check your junk email files to ensure that the email did not get mistakenly blocked.  If you are unable to retrieve your email with your Password, please contact your grant partner or WFF for assistance.

We lost our log in Key and Password.

Contact your grant partner or WFF for assistance.

The Key and Password from the confirmation email do not work.
Copy and paste the Key and Password from the email instead of entering it by hand as the capitalization is not always clear.

We are unable to expand the text boxes, how do we view the entire answer entry?

Please use the scroll feature next to the text box to review your entry for any long answer question.  If you would like to view the entire question, please select “Preview Full Application.”

How does the spell check function work?

The proposal is not designed to automatically spell check your answers.  Make sure to spell check your answers before adding material to the proposal and before you submit the proposal.

If our school is not affiliated with a grant partner, how do we complete the grant partner referral field on Page 1?

If your school was not referred to Walton by a grant partner, please select the no grant partner option provided in this list, for example, Wisconsin – No Grant Partner.  This field is mandatory, so please ensure it is complete and accurate before submitting the proposal.

I am working on two different applications. Why does it copy the information from one application to the other?

If you are working on an application for two different schools, you will need to disable the browser caching so it does not copy information from one proposal to the other.  To disable browser caching for Internet Explorer 9:

• Click on 'Settings'

• Click on 'Internet Options'

• Look for 'Browsing History' and choose 'Settings'

• Under 'Check for newer versions of stored pages' choose 'Every time I visit the web page'

Online Proposal Content Support
Our school is not affiliated with a WFF target geography, who is the contact if I have questions about the proposal?

Please contact Sarah Burns, Charter Startup Grant Administrator at slburns at wffmail.com for assistance on content related questions. If you experience technical difficulties, please contact WFF Technical Assistance at 479-464-1533.

Who should serve as the applicant in Section 1?

Pre-Authorization Startup Grant:  Since the school in this case is not authorized, the applicant for a pre-authorization startup grant is the 501(c)(3) organization starting the school.  A Charter Management Organization or nonprofit organization with 501(c)(3) status could act as a fiscal agent in this case.   If the applicant does not have a 501(c)(3) designation, a credit report will be run to ensure they meet WFF credit standards.  If awarded a grant, all checks are then payable to the applicant’s school name, unless otherwise specified.

Please note:  For all BES schools, please list Building Excellent Schools as the applicant in Section 1.

Post-Authorization or Combo Startup Grant:  Since the school is formally authorized, the applicant is the school (in some cases the CMO) named in the authorization documentation.   Checks will be made payable to the school, unless otherwise specified.    If the school name has changed from the name listed in the authorization documentation, please provide documentation from the authorizer that clarifies the name change.

Reporting
When do I submit an expenditure report?

If your school has been awarded a grant from the Walton Family Foundation, you must submit an annual financial and narrative report. The due date is listed in your grant letter in section 5. Please use the reporting templates located on the "For Public Charter Startup Current Grantees" page.

Can I receive funding if an organization I am affiliated with has outstanding reports?

No. If you are affiliated with an organization or school that has received funding in the past but is not up to date on their reports, you will not be able to receive funding until that organization or school has submitted their reports and they been approved by a WFF program officer.

California Charter Schools Association
http://www.waltonfamilyfoundation.org/grantees/california-charter-schools-association

More than 200,000 new students have been able to choose to enroll in a public charter school in California since 2003.  That’s why the Walton Family Foundation is investing $15 million in the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA), with the goal of giving 100,000 additional children the ability to attend a high-quality public charter school over the next three years. The grant is the largest single investment made by the foundation to a state charter school association and is based on CCSA’s proven track record of expanding parental choice in California.

Since CCSA’s inception in 2003, the foundation has invested $17.9 million in them. These investments have helped foster the creation of more than 600 new charter schools, allowing 200,000 additional students and their families to choose to enroll in a public charter school in California.

The Walton Family Foundation has invested more than $46 million in state charter school associations with annual investments growing from $5.6 million in 2006 to more than $14 million for 18 state associations in 2010. As we continue to see successful state charter school associations flourish, these investments will continue.

Video: Why Parental Choice Is So Important

California Charter Schools Association - parental choice

Jed Wallace explains why it's so important for parents to be able to choose where their kids go to school.
CCSA on the Web

Chicago largest recipient of Walton Family Foundation money for charter schools
http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/17443345-418/chicago-largest-recipient-of-walton-family-foundation-money-for-charter-schools.html

By Lauren FitzPatrick Staff Reporter lfitzpatrick at suntimes.com January 8, 2013 6:02PM

 February 10, 2013 5:47PM

The Walton Family Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Wal-Mart’s founder, gave more money to Chicago to start new charter schools last year than it did to any other city —­ $3.8 million.

That brings the total donated to Chicago schools to $22.8 million since 1997 by the largest private funder of charter school startups.

The foundation sees “high quality public charters” as a way to empower parents, said Ed Kirby, deputy director for Walton’s education reform efforts. The company was founded by Sam Walton.

In 2012, the Walton foundation handed up to $250,000 in startup money to 13 new charter schools, some of which have already opened: KIPP Create College Prep Middle School, Noble-DRW Trading College Prep and Noble-Auburn Gresham, LEARN-6th Campus, an UNO elementary school, Catalyst-Maria Charter and the Montessori School of Englewood.

Christopher House Charter School and Chicago Collegiate Charter School, two of the 11 greenlighted to open in the fall, also were among the recipients. The Noble network also plans to open two more using the $1 million it received last year in Walton money, according to the foundation.

Charter schools, like neighborhood public schools, are funded by the government according to how many students they have but typically don’t receive any of that money until students are actually in the building attending classes.

Ads by Google

• 3 Early Signs of DementiaDoctor: Know These 3 Warning Signs You're About to Suffe Dementiawww.newsmax.com r

• VA Streamline - 2.25%?No Appraisal Needed. Low Credit OK! (recommended)VA-Streamline.LowVARates.com

• Child Psychology Colleges2013 Child Psychology Classes. Enter Zip & Find Local Schools Now!Colleges.CampusCorner.com

“Generally, we’re providing operational support that helps a school address all its costs in its startup,” Kirby said. “Charters are fully public so they ought to be self sufficient with public funding in the long term.”

Chicago Public Schools says the district cannot continue to run its existing schools because there are more classroom spots than students. CPS has not yet said how many neighborhood schools it plans to shutter or consolidate for being under capacity as it stares down a $1 billion deficit by summer. In a move the Chicago Teachers Union calls “hypocrisy,” schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett recommended two new charters for board approval last month — Chicago Collegiate is one of them.

Chicago International Charter School has received $4 million to date since opening in 1997, said CICS CEO Beth Purvis. Each $250,000 installation helped set up the new school in a similar way: furniture, library shelving, curricular materials — sometimes kitchen equipment. Best of all, the network didn’t have to go into debt as it was opening its doors, she said.

“They have been very generous donors to us,” she said. “You can’t underestimate the importance of this money.”

Privatizing the Oceans
Walton Family Greenwashing
NOVEMBER 19, 2012

Privatizing the Oceans
Walton Family Greenwashing
http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/11/19/walton-family-greenwashing/
by DAN BACHER
Much recent media attention has focused on Walmart’s announcement that it is canceling Thanksgiving plans for many of its employees. These workers will now have to work on the holiday as the retail giant kicks off its holiday sale at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, rather than waiting until midnight on “Black Friday.”

“The result is troubling for advocates for workers’ rights, as Walmart has encroached repeatedly on a holiday that traditionally involves plenty of time spent with family and away from work,” according to a statement from the Corporate Action Network. “The decision to move up the start of Black Friday sales to Thursday could be an attempt to thwart the workers’ organization efforts scheduled for Black Friday.

Labor, social justice and human rights groups are supporting a nationwide boycott of Walmart on Black Friday to back the strike of Walmart workers that day.

However, less well known to the public is Walmart’s ambitious campaign of corporate greenwashing in recent years.

The Walton Family Foundation proudly reported “investments” totaling more than $71.4 million in “environmental initiatives” in 2011, including contributions to corporate “environmental” NGOs pushing ocean privatization through the “catch shares” programs and so-called “marine protected areas” like those created under Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative.

According to a press release from the Walmart Headquarters in Bentonville Arkansas, the foundation made grants to more than 160 organizations in the U.S. and other countries “that work to protect natural resources while strengthening the local economies that depend on them.”

The foundation directed an overwhelming majority of the grants toward its two core environmental initiatives – “Freshwater Conservation and Marine Conservation.”

“Our work is rooted in our belief that the conservation solutions that last are the ones that make economic sense,” claimed Scott Burns, director of the foundation’s Environment Focus Area. “The foundation and our grantees embrace ‘conservationomics’ – the idea that conservation efforts can and should bring economic prosperity to local communities.”

The foundation donated $30.5 million to Marine Conservation, $26,842,289 to Freshwater Conservation and $14,022,907 for “Other Environment Grants”

The Top Five Grantees were Conservation International, $16,208,278; Environmental Defense Fund, $13,683,709; the Marine Stewardship Council $3,122,500; Nature Conservancy $3,024,539, and the National Audubon Society, $2,739,859.

Conservation International features Walton and Stewart Resnick on Board

Conservation International, the top recipient with $16,208,278, is an organization noted for its top-down approach to conservation and involvement with corporate greenwashing.

The Walton Foundation press release claimed that, “Conservation International continued to implement a three-year program to empower local communities to manage and conserve fishing resources on Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast.”

However, the group’s board features some of the most controversial corporate leaders on the planet, including Rob Walton and Stewart Resnick.

Rob Walton, Walmart Chairman, serves as the Chairman of the Executive Committee of Conservation International. Serving with him on Conservation International’s Board of Directors is Stewart Resnick, the owner of Paramount Farms.

Resnick has been instrumental in campaigns to build the peripheral canal to increase water exports to agribusiness and Southern California, to eviscerate Endangered Species Act protections for Central Valley Chinook salmon and Delta smelt and to eradicate striped bass in California. The Center for Investigative Reporting describes Resnick as a “Corporate Farming Billionaire and One-Man Environmental Wrecking Crew.”

Resnick is notorious for buying subsidized Delta water and then selling it back to the public for a big profit, as revealed in an article by Mike Taugher in the Contra Costa Times on May 23, 2009.

“As the West Coast’s largest estuary plunged to the brink of collapse from 2000 to 2007, state water officials pumped unprecedented amounts of water out of the Delta only to effectively buy some of it back at taxpayer expense for a failed environmental protection plan, a MediaNews investigation has found,” said Taugher.

Taugher said the “environmental water account” set up in 2000 to “improve” the Delta ecosystem spent nearly $200 million mostly to benefit water users while also creating a “cash stream for private landowners and water agencies in the Bakersfield area.”

“No one appears to have benefitted more than companies owned or controlled by Stewart Resnick, a Beverly Hills billionaire, philanthropist and major political donor whose companies, including Paramount Farms, own more than 115,000 acres in Kern County,” Taugher stated. “Resnick’s water and farm companies collected about 20 cents of every dollar spent by the program.”

Likewise, the Nature Conservancy, a group that received $3,024,539 from the Walton Family Foundation, in 2011, is also known for its strong support of the Bay Delta Conservation Plan to build the peripheral tunnels that Resnick and other corporate agribusiness interests so avidly support. A broad coalition of fishermen, Indian Tribes, environmentalists, family farmers and elected officials opposes the construction of the tunnels because they would hasten the extinction of Central Valley salmon, Delta smelt, longfin smelt and other species.

Environmental Defense Fund’s drive to privatize fisheries

Environmental Defense Fund, with the second highest donation at $13,683,709, is known for its market-based approach to conservation and its push for “catch shares” that essentially privatize the oceans. The relationship between the group and the retail giant is so close that it operates an office in Bentonville, Arkansas, where Walmart is headquartered.

“Environmental Defense Fund released its ‘Catch Shares Design Manual: A Guide for Fishermen and Managers’ to provide a roadmap to catch share design, which is a focus of our Marine Conservation initiative,” according to the Walton Family Foundation.

A catch share, also known as an individual fishing quota, is a transferable voucher that gives individuals or businesses the ability to access a fixed percentage of the total authorized catch of a particular species.

“Fishery management systems based on catch shares turn a public resource into private property and have lead to socioeconomic and environmental problems. Contrary to arguments by catch share proponents – namely large commercial fishing interests – this management system has exacerbated unsustainable fishing practices,” according to the consumer advocacy group Food & Water Watch.

True to form, Sam Rawlings Walton, the grandson of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton, serves on the Board of Trustees of EDF.

Times articles put spotlight on Walmart

Two New York Times articles in April 2012 put Walmart and the Walton family’s “dirty laundry” in the international spotlight, leading to a renewed call by the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) for the public to support their boycott of Walmart.

The Times articles covered Walton family support for anti-fishing, pro-privatization efforts in North America, followed by the publication’s exposure of alleged $24 million worth of bribes in Central America to speed up the chain’s expansion into Mexico.

“The headlines prove that Walmart and the Walton Family Foundation are no friends of local communities anywhere, and their ongoing efforts to destroy coastal fishing businesses through support of arbitrary marine reserves and privatization of fish stocks nationwide should not be supported by anglers,” said RFA executive director Jim Donofrio. “We’re asking coastal fishermen who support open access, under the law, to healthy and sustainable fish stocks to send a clear message to this arrogant corporation that we’ve had enough of their greenwashing and grafting efforts.

Donofrio noted that Walmart made world headlines following a New York Times story that charges the Bentonville, Arkansas company and its leaders of squashing an internal investigation into suspected payments of over $24 million in bribes to obtain permits to build in Mexico.

Reporter’s lapse shows complicity of corporate media

The bribery scandal was exposed on the same day that the Gloucester Times of Massachusetts exposed a reporting lapse in another recent New York Times article about the relationship between Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) and Walmart partnering together for “more enlightened and sustainable operations.”

The New York Times had earlier reported that EDF “does not accept contributions from Wal-Mart or other corporations it works for.”

However, when confronted on the fact that the $1.3 billion Walton Family Foundation (started in 1987 by Wal-Mart’s founders, Sam and Helen Walton, and directed presently by the Walton family) has been underwriting EDF’s successful effort to replace the nation’s mostly small-business, owner-operated fishing industry with “a catch shares model designed to cap the number of active fishermen by trading away ownership of the resource to those with the deepest pockets,” the author of the New York Times report conceded by email that in her rush to meet deadlines, she had not considered the relationship between the Walton family and Wal-Mart, according to Donofrio.

“I didn’t think to check the EDF board for Walton family members, or Walton Family Foundation donations,” said reporter Stephanie Clifford, adding “None of the third parties I’d spoken to had mentioned that connection, which isn’t an excuse – I should have thought of it myself, but didn’t.

RFA is hoping that saltwater anglers and fishing business owners help send Walmart stocks tumbling by refusing to shop at the corporate giant any longer.

“The Walton family uses their fortune to buy off friends who’ll cover for their despicable business practices, whether it’s corporate greenwashing with EDF, rebranding efforts through national trade association campaigns, or apparently by way of directed bribes to local officials in other countries,” Donofrio said. “Don’t just stop buying fishing tackle at Wal-Mart – stop supporting this company altogether and let’s quit supporting complete buyouts and takeovers of local communities.”

In August 2011, RFA asked fishermen to publicly boycott Walmart stores following issuance of a news release from Wal-Mart corporate headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas where the Walton family announced investments totaling more than $71.8 million awarded to various environmental initiatives.

Over $36 million alone was handed over to “Marine Conservation” grantees including the Ocean Conservancy, Conservation International Foundation, Marine Stewardship Council, World Wildlife Fund and EDF. All of these organizations are notorious for their role in corporate greenwashing efforts across the globe.

The RFA pointed out that by contributing over $36 million to NGOs promoting alleged “marine protected areas” like those created under Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative and catch share programs in 2010, the Waltons were contributing to the demise of sustainable recreational and commercial fisheries and the privatization of the oceans.

Commercial fishermen back boycott

Zeke Grader, executive director of the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen’s Associations, supports RFA’s boycott of Walmart.

“People who are concerned about our environment or labor rights should all be boycotting Walmart,” said Grader. “Their polices are clearly intended to commodify our natural resources and put them under the control of large corporations.”

“The Walton Family Foundation is funding the Environmental Defense Fund, which wants to commodify water through water marketing and privatize our fish through catch shares program,” said Grader. “These are tools used by corporations to further the growing disparity between 1 percent and rest of us.”

Dan Bacher can be reached at: Danielbacher at fishsniffer.com