[OccupyCU] Fw: They're Still Coming for Your Benefits

David Johnson davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 22 21:24:04 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: National Committee to Preserve Social Security & Medicare
To: davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:26 AM
Subject: They're Still Coming for Your Benefits

      (Please add: postmaster at ncpssm.2dialog.com to your trusted email address list so you can receive our emails.)
      Having trouble reading this email? View it in your browser.
                        Benefit Watch MEMBER NEWSLETTER November 22, 2013
                        INSIDE THIS ISSUE:
                        » Millionaires Should Pay Their Fair Share
                        » The Best Cure for Poverty
                        » When Did You Claim Social Security?
                        » SAVE THE DATE: National Day of Action - Dec. 5th

                       TAKE ACTION

                              NOVEMBER 2013 MEMBERS ONLY POLL

                              Do you believe Social Security and Medicare will continue to be major targets for spending cuts and reforms as we once again count down to the next debt ceiling battle in 2014?

                              View the results of this month's poll.

                        FEATURE STORY
                        Millionaires Should Pay Their Fair Share

                        Right now, many politicians and pundits are saying we must slash earned benefits to close the Social Security funding gap that is projected to start in 2033. But what you may not know is that one big reason for that upcoming gap is that millionaires are exempt from paying their fair share of Social Security taxes. Read more here.

                        The National Committee believes that's wrong and we're calling on Congress to pass legislation (S. 567/H.R. 3118) that would lift the Social Security Payroll Tax Cap — effectively making everyone pay the same percentage of their income into Social Security. This simple fix would go a long way in shoring up Social Security's finances. Yet, we're facing tough resistance from wealthy CEOs who are putting pressure on Congress to keep tax breaks for large, profitable corporations while calling for deep cuts to Social Security and Medicare. To learn more, click here.

                        The Best Cure For Poverty

                        Amidst the growing clamor in Washington to cut seniors' earned benefits in order to pay down deficits this program didn't cause in the first place, lawmakers would be wise to acknowledge the role of Social Security in preventing millions of Americans from falling into poverty. Indeed, without Social Security benefits, 44.4 percent of elderly Americans would have incomes below the official poverty line. All the more reason to not only keep this program intact for current beneficiaries — and reject harmful proposals that would reduce already modest benefits — but also strengthen it for future generations. Read more here.

                        When Did You Claim Social Security?

                        SAccording to a recent report, fewer people are claiming Social Security benefits at age 62, although it continues to be the most popular age to receive payments. Claiming Social Security at age 66 has recently surged in popularity, due to the increase in the full retirement age to 66 for everyone born between 1943 and 1954. Age 66 is also the first year that your benefit will not be temporarily withheld if you work and claim Social Security benefits at the same time. To find out more about Social Security trends, click here.

                        SAVE THE DATE: National Day of Action - Dec. 5th

                        On December 5, the National Committee will take part in the National Day of Action by delivering more than 250,000 "blue letters" signed by our members to Capitol Hill offices and congressional offices across the country. Our message is simple: Save Social Security and Medicare from Harmful Cuts. Stay tuned to find out how to join our DAY OF ACTION or send a message to Congress today.

                        MEDICARE PART D

                        The National Committee has compiled the best answers available to your Medicare Part D questions. Our booklet, Medicare Part D from A to Z, will help you navigate through the complex and often confusing world of this prescription drug program.

                        ASK MARY JANE
                        Mary Jane is your National Committee's expert in the field of Social Security and Medicare Policy, with over 40 years of involvement in the practical details of how these programs work. Have a question? Ask Mary Jane or browse her extensive question-and-answer archives.

                        Q. I will be 65 in October. My understanding is that I cannot collect full benefits until I reach 66.
                        View Mary Jane's Answer Here.

                              MORE WAYS TO CONNECT WITH US:

                        Know someone else interested in preserving Social Security and Medicare? Forward this email.
                        No longer interested? Unsubscribe.

                        National Committee to Preserve Social Security & Medicare
                        10 G Street NE, Suite 600
                        Washington, DC 20002-4215
                        800.966.1935
                        www.ncpssm.org