[OccupyCU] The fight for union democracy you won’t read about in the Post. AFT Teachers union

David Johnson via OccupyCU occupycu at lists.chambana.net
Sat Aug 9 09:24:53 EDT 2014

    New post on *Fred Klonsky*

<http://preaprez.wordpress.com/author/preaprez/>

    The fight for union democracy you won’t read about in the Post.
    <http://preaprez.wordpress.com/2014/08/08/the-fight-for-union-democracy-you-wont-read-about-in-the-post/>

by Fred Klonsky <http://preaprez.wordpress.com/author/preaprez/>

michael-mulgrew-MORE-Caucus-YouTube-1
<https://preaprez.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/michael-mulgrew-more-caucus-youtube-1.jpg>

A month after, finally and suddenly the Mulgrew "punch you in the face"
story has made the national news.

The Daily News.
<http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/michael-mulgrew-defends-common-core-punch-face-tools-article-1.1895301>
The New York Post.
<http://nypost.com/2014/08/07/city-teachers-union-threatened-to-punch-common-core-opponents/>
The right-wing Daily Caller
<http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/08/this-teachers-union-president-will-punch-you-in-the-face-if-you-dont-like-common-core-video/>
and Breibart.
<http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/07/NYC-Teachers-Union-Prez-Michael-Mulgrew-To-Common-Core-Opponents-I-m-Going-To-Punch-You-In-The-Face-Because-This-Is-The-Teachers>

Why?

Because Mulgrew's bellicose threats to the rank-and-file fit right into
their anti-union narratives of /union bosses/ and /union thugs./

In fact, the performance by the New York UFT President, laughingly egged
on by AFT President Randi Weingarten, was a gift to the anti-union
forces. Wrapped in pretty paper with a big bow on top.

However.

Make no mistake about whether this was actually thuggish behavior by
Mulgrew.

Or whether he made this speech because he suddenly lost all control.

It was premeditated thuggery.

And it was aimed - not at those who promote the corporate education
reform agenda.

Mulgrew showed nothing but disdain for union members who oppose
corporate reform. At those who target Broad and Gates and "martians," he
said mockingly.

His anger - real or contrived - was reserved - not for those who refused
to bargain a contract for six year - but for rank-and-file members.

He might as well have said, "How dare you come into my house and
challenge what we in the leadership say or do."

There were two resolutions. One from the AFT leadership supporting the
Obama administration and Common Core, while criticizing its implementation.

Another resolution opposing the Common Core was brought by delegates
from the Chicago Teachers Union, whose House of Delegates had adopted it
a few months earlier.

When Mulgrew took to the microphone to speak in support of the
leadership’s position, the debate turned ugly.

Where opponents of the leadership resolution spoke of educational
practice and data - and the negative impact of Common Core on students,
Mulgrew threatened to “punch anyone in the face” who tried to take “my
Common Core” away.
was about Common Core.

There was two things going on in Los Angeles that weekend.

A debate about curriculum and what is best for teachers and students.

And a demonstration of union democracy. Or the lack of it.

Because there are such things and union thugs and union bosses. And
there is a movement to replace them.

This debate was partly about what counts as good classroom practice.

It was mostly about power and who gets to make decisions in our unions.

But you won't read about that in the Daily News or the New York Post.