[OccupyCU] Fwd: Fw: What's wrong with TFA?

David Johnson via OccupyCU occupycu at lists.chambana.net
Wed Nov 12 19:10:06 EST 2014

I’m Will Daniels, and I’m a USAS member at Eastern Michigan University.
I grew up right down the street from EMU, as a proud black man in
Detroit. I’m writing to you today about an injustice that has torn apart
my community and working class communities across the country for too
long — *and I need your support as I fly to New York this Thursday to
change it. *
*Teach For America* claims to be a "racial and social justice"
organization, but I know better. I know from firsthand experience that
they're part of a corporate reform machine designed to turn over a major
public good into private hands. This might be old news to you.
*_If so, will you stand behind me while I meet with the Teach For
America CEOs?_*
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=rU0isEpPqCULat%2FrcDEdVLYIm%2FHfegfq>
It's okay if you’re confused though. It's hard to see what could be
wrong with an organization that aims to "close the achievement gap." And
that’s why *many individuals who choose to do TFA are phenomenal,
well-intentioned people*. But over the past few years there has been an
epidemic of school closings, teacher firings, and union busting aimed at
teachers and students in working class communities across the nation.
*The attack on public education in each of these cities has been
**directly connected to Teach For America and its growing network of
alumni and wealthy supporters.*
My father was a teacher for thirty years in Detroit Public Schools.
Then, our Republican governor designed a program that closed working
class Detroit schools and laid off longtime teachers. These schools and
teachers were replaced by the so-called Educational Achievement
Authority. A quarter of EAA’s workforce are from Teach for America. In
other words, experienced *teachers were fired so that they could be
replaced by undertrained, recent college grads*. They were cheaper labor
than my father, who had dedicated his life to this community.
_*Tell Teach For America that Detroit students, and students all across
the country deserve better than a transient, undertrained workforce. *_
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=cgEx86NJ4lqnXin2rVAn17YIm%2FHfegfq>
We're meeting with Teach For America co-CEOs Matthew Kramer and Elisa
Villanueva-Beard on Thursday to ask them restore TFA to its original
mission by only operating in areas of actual teacher shortages, giving
aspiring teachers adequate education and training, and cutting ties with
corporations like Walmart and Goldman Sachs that are mistreating workers
and destroying our communities.
_*Sign our petition to support college students’ efforts to reform Teach
For America, and fight for quality public education.*_
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=upkJJQ0xBy2PP%2BNHus5a4LYIm%2FHfegfq>
In solidarity,
Will Daniels, USAS Local 734
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bIYyq3Z9HpqtgYW9pEBrG7YIm%2FHfegfq>
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=smGub%2Fb1Pi6bdXLcFczAuLYIm%2FHfegfq>

*United Students Against Sweatshops | USAS.org
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AdddZplyRPMl8leyZ%2B3ISrYIm%2FHfegfq>*
Organizing for Student and Worker Power

Click here to unsubscribe
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pXEHmv3vmQo5xOzLBLSn7bYIm%2FHfegfq>