[OccupyCU] [NCB] Art Opening + Poetry Open Mic for Domestic Violence Awareness Tonight 5:30pm-9pm at the WRC

Rachel Storm via OccupyCU occupycu at lists.chambana.net
Wed Oct 8 16:18:13 EDT 2014

Please forward widely! Please share with your network.

*I Wish She Was Dead Art Exhibition Opening*
*Visual Poetry Work from Elka Kazmierczak, MFA/PhD. Candidate*

*Women's Resources Center (703 S. Wright St. MC-302 2nd Fl. Champaign)*
*Tonight, Oct. 8th from 5:30pm-7pm (followed by poetry open mic night from
7-9pm)*

I Wish She Was Dead is an artist's book of visual poetry and digital
collages. It depicts many women's emotional journey in search of identify,
empowerment, and the healthy boundaries in intimate relationships. Each
poem depicts an experience that marks a step in the emotional rite of
passage. The title is a metaphor for a struggle to let go of the emotional
baggage and cultural expectations that oppress women. A mouse signifies the
self in transition.

This book honors survivors of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse and
violence. Poems are dedicated to terrific women who showed me the value of
such a project and encouraged me to complete it. One dedicatee responded,
"You really put a finger on where I am, finding my identity and all. From
the bottom of my heart, thank you for seeing me."

Elka holds an MFA in Art and Design and an MA in Art Education. For seven
years, she was Head of the Illustration Program at University at Buffalo,
NY. Elka has been founding director and manager of the Art for Empowerment
program for survivors of abuse at a women's shelter in Carbondale, IL,
2004--2008. She co-founded IATA--Illini Art Therapy Association, a student
organization, which is housed at the Women's Resources Center since 2010.
Elka is a Doctoral Candidate, completing her dissertation titled
"Interpreting Abuse from Self-Representational Drawings."

Opening will be followed by a poetry open mic night in honor of Domestic
Violence Awareness Month.