[OccupyCU] 7pm Tonight! The Illumination Celebration at Art Theater

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 11:12:25 EDT 2015

Don't miss this tonight! BD

We of Build Progams, Not Jails are delighted to be supporting this youth
cultural event, "The Illumination Celebration" to be held at the Art
Theatre, downtown Champaign, Sunday August 30 from 7 to 9 p.m. The local
organization, Exposed, is the lead organizer/promoter/producer.  Exposed
aims to bring together a range of organizations for this event. The actual
evening will present a showcase of Poetry, Spoken Word, Comedy, Visual Art,
Film, and Live Music, all produced by local youth. Included in the material
is a short film based on the statistics of racial disparity in our county.
We urge all of you to attend and support the creative efforts of our young
people and see how they artistically interpret our data on racial
disparity.

James Kilgore for Build Programs, Not Jails

Event overview/ Community Collaboration/ Performing Arts View this email in
your browser
<http://us10.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6e67b81042a021309f8e63d36&id=ac6b567331&e=>
Exposed
“On the Road” Presents: The Illumination Celebration  A celebration of
community, unity, and our local youth

*August 17, 2015*: Exposed, a local organization that holds a monthly
showcase of talent incorporating performances of Poetry, Spoken Word,
Comedy, Visual Art, Film, and Live Music, is set to host a youth based
performance event to be held at The Art Theater in downtown Champaign on
Sunday, August 30th, 2015.

“One of our goals as an organization is to unite various community agencies
in order to strengthen and develop the performing arts in the
Champaign-Urbana area." Says Creative Director/ Founder Amy Ali

 After a year of hosting their monthly showcase at Soma Ultralounge they
decided to take Exposed “On the Road” over the summer and work with other
organizations in order to continue to build community collaborations.
Exposed has partnered with The Champaign Center partnership in June and
UrbanaLove in July. For their  final “On The Road” show before returning to
Soma in September they have united with a few special organizations;
Spotlight, Build Programs Not Jails, 4-H Metro, and Undercut Collective to
produce an event catered specifically to youth ages 14-21.
Youth gather in a circle on the first day of the Spotlight mentoring
program to share something about themselves. Kyra Mitchell and lead mentor
Hafiz take youth on Campus to film their short videos.

“Each organization has played a role in working with the youth and
producing different pieces of this show” says Ali. Spotlight for instance,
created by U of I student Kyra Mitchell, is a program for minority youth
whose main goal is to reverse negative stereotypes in media, provide
mentorship and increase self-esteem. Kyra has worked with a group of 10
students over the summer to produce short films highlighting something
positive in their lives. Exposed is set to show these short films alongside
performances in their typical format of Poetry, Spoken word, Comedy, and
Live Music. The difference this time around is that the performers will be
local youth between the ages of 14-21 showcasing their talents. “These
young people are incredibly talented but many of them have never performed
in front of an audience before. They are nervous but also very excited and
grateful for the opportunity” says Ali.

“It all came together quite randomly, I knew we were going to be working
with 4-h over the summer, providing workshops, but soon after that was
scheduled I was asked to come help plan an event for Build Programs Not
Jails that would raise awareness of local social injustices as well a
showcase an alternative program that could provide positive reinforcement
in order to reverse some of the social issues our community is faced with.
It is meant to highlight what can happen when we come together as a
community as well as give the youth an opportunity to speak out on some of
these issues. I thought, wouldn’t it be cool to hear their perspective?”

Build Programs Not Jails, which is an extension of the CU Citizens for
Peace and Justice, has provided Exposed with a set of area statistics.
Using these statistics 4-H youth have created a series of interview
questions that they have taken and interviewed their peers on camera with.
Clips from these interviews are also set to play alongside the youth
performances on the 30th.

This event is very unique in that, not only are youth performing,
interviewing, and producing films for the event, but also Exposed has
brought on board Urbana High School student Saskia Baker, the creator of
Undercut Collective, as a lead on the event planning. The Undercut
Collective is a program concentrating on putting together all-ages concerts
for the teens of the Champaign-Urbana area that was started by Saskia over
a year ago. “I wanted to try to incorporate youth in as many aspects of
putting together this show as possible. I think it just provides a great
opportunity for them to really own something and be proud of it” says Ali.

*The Illumination Celebration* will be held on August 30th from 7-9pm at
The Art Theater in downtown Champaign, combining the history of our
community with the future of our youth. Tickets are $5 and proceeds go to
the cost of producing the event.

Facebook Event <https://www.facebook.com/events/1677967279101565/>
Amy Ali
Exposed
Phone: (217) 552-4948
missiontoexpose at gmail.com
www.missiontoexpose.com
      Exposed “On the Road”

This email was sent to missiontoexpose at gmail.com
*why did I get this?*
<http://missiontoexpose.us10.list-manage.com/about?u=6e67b81042a021309f8e63d36&id=7fed9acbbc&e=&c=ac6b567331>
    unsubscribe from this list
<http://missiontoexpose.us10.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=6e67b81042a021309f8e63d36&id=7fed9acbbc&e=&c=ac6b567331>
    update subscription preferences
<http://missiontoexpose.us10.list-manage1.com/profile?u=6e67b81042a021309f8e63d36&id=7fed9acbbc&e=>
Exposed · 308 S Van Doren St · Champaign, Il 61820 · USA

[image: Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=6e67b81042a021309f8e63d36&afl=1>

--
*Amy L. Ali *
*Founder/Creative Director *

--
*Amy L. Ali*
University of Illinois Extension, Unit 13
amyali at illinois.edu
Phone: 217.353.0740
Fax: 217.351.2019

--