[Peace-discuss] "Anti-Patriot Act"

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 19 16:48:15 CST 2002

FYI

"Anti-Patriot Act"

http://www.freeexpression.org/patriotstmt.htm

Excerpt:

"While the undersigned members of the Free Expression Network support
legitimate law enforcement activities designed to bring to justice
the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks and to prevent future
threats to our security, we oppose doing so in ways that
fundamentally threaten democracy, by allowing government broad power
to monitor and investigate the personal opinions of its residents,
and by restricting the free flow of information beyond the need to
protect national security. We also condemn all efforts to demonize or
punish dissent."

April 26, 2002
Endorsing Organizations:
American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression
American Civil Liberties Union
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Electronic Privacy Information Center
Feminists for Free Expression
First Amendment Project
National Coalition Against Censorship
Online Policy Group
Peacefire
PEN American Center
People For the American Way
Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts
	*		*		*		*
	*		*
  http://shamon.com/repeal/newsletter.html
Repeal Patriot Act Immediately!  Completely!

Excerpt:

"Atlanta Workshop on Patriot Act Resistance Jan. 25
You are invited to participate in a panel discussion/workshop
sponsored by the National Coalition to Repeal the U.S.A. Patriot Act.
I am asking you to join this new coalition to Repeal the Patriot Act
now and completely. This panel discussion will take place on
Saturday, January 25, 2003 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Atlanta
Fulton Central Library Conference Hall, Atlanta Georgia and is part
of a State Convention hosted by the Georgia Green Party. Eighteen
cities, including the cities of Denver and Madison, have passed
resolutions in support of civil liberties. Thirty-five other cities
are now considering legislation. We will be discussing a resolution
in opposition to the Patriot Act for the city of Atlanta."
http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/07.03C.abc.usapa.htm

Patriot Revolution?
Cities From Cambridge to Berkeley Reject Anti-Terror Measure
By Dean Schabner
ABCNEWS.com

Monday, 1 July, 2002

--