[Peace-discuss] News Gazette

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Thu Nov 28 11:45:49 CST 2002

The Champaign Illinois News Gazette published one of my letters today in
their Thanksgiving Day edition paper.

doug

Your recent editorial "Veterans' Memorial is a timely reminder" (August 15,
page A-6) illustrates the previous costs of war that all of us must remember
and consider whenever military action is planned and completed.  The U.S.
Department of Veterans Affairs confirmed  (September 10, 2002 report) Gulf
War I (1990 - 1991) casualty count now is 8013 dead and 159,238 injured or
ill.  This count stands in stark contrast to the official casualty count of
294 dead and 466 injured and ill at the end of  1991.  Our government
continues its unrelenting efforts to insist that the Gulf War I casualty rate
was low and that Gulf War II will be swift and bloodless.  Reality is much
different.  War is about killing and children, women, and men dying not just
during battle but for many years after the battle is over. The actual
world-wide Gulf War I casualty count is well over 2 million dead, sick, or
injured. Today's surviving Gulf War I casualties must fight every day for
earned medical care and financial support to restore their shattered lives.
As combat veteran of both the Gulf War I  and the Vietnam War I ask you to
remember the real costs of war whenever you drive by Memorial Stadium and
take a moment to "Pray for Peace".