[Peace-discuss] United For Peace Initiative to Resolve the Iraq Crisis

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Mon Feb 17 09:40:43 CST 2003

As we saw most clearly last Friday, the UN is where the action is, on
whether the world can unite to stop Bush et al's push for invasion of Iraq
(and the rest of the planet). The reason is straightforward: the entire
organization was set up following World War II, specifically to banish
pre-emptive wars upon one nation by another. This is clear from all of
Chapter 7 (Resolutions 39-51) of the UN Charter
(http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/chapter7.htm), which in effect says that
the UN Security Council - not individual member states - has the sole
legitimate authority to engage in pre-emptive war. Short of an immediate,
compelling need for self-defense, the UN Charter brooks no excuse for one
country's invading another. (Although we know how often that's been watered
down or ignored in the past, the scope has been nowhere near as sweeping as
it is in this instance. That of course is why France, China, Russia and
non-permanent members are choking on the Iraq invasion and the "Bush
Doctrine" behind it.) The illegality of pre-emptive wars under
international law was also a major thrust of the Nuremberg tribunals
following World War II (where it is defined as a "crime against peace,"
equal in severity to "war crimes" and "crimes against humanity").

Effectively, and all too likely intentionally, the current US
administration's thrust toward invading Iraq is meant to steamroller the UN
Security Council either into rubber-stamping something that is totally
against its reason for being (as expressed in Chapter 7) or to make the
Security Council irrelevant. No wonder most of the Council are rising up
against it, despite all attempts by the US and Brits to coerce, threaten
and bribe. The only open question seems to be whether the militarists in DC
and London are so intent on invading Iraq that they're willing to risk
destroying the United Nations to do it, or whether they're so intent on
destroying the United Nations that they're willing to risk invading Iraq to
do that. (Odd, ain't it, that none of this is stressed in mainstream US news.)

Well, it turns out that the Security Council, as important as it is, isn't
the final arbiter on all this. According to a recent Zmag article
(http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2003-02/08ratner.cfm) and to its
own website, The Center for Constitutional Rights
(http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/whatsnew/report.asp?ObjID=0hZHHegENn&Content=186)
is mounting a campaign to urge nations to act under the provisions of a
1950 General Assembly Resolution, 377, that gives the GA authority to act
when the Security Council is deadlocked. The main value of this
little-known resolution, aptly called "Uniting for Peace," has come when
one or another Security Council member has undertaken an invasion without
SC authority (as is all too likely to be the case real soon now), and then
that member vetoes any SC resolutions demanding withdrawal - e.g. in the
Suez Crisis and the Russian invasion of Hungary, both in the 1950s.

I think this is all very important to keep in mind, and to make part of our
strategy for working to keep war from starting and to continue opposing it
when (if!, I hear some folks crying) it starts. This is the crux of the
matter and why everyone on the planet with an ounce of sense in their
heads, not just progressives like most of us AWARE types, ought to be
working against this war and the doctrine behind it. A propos is a sign
from the recent DC demonstration that I saw a picture of on the web last
night: "Conservatives Against A War in Iraq: Pre-emption = Imperialism."

This is all by way of introducing an email that got forwarded to a state
Greens list this morning, with more information re UN Resolution 377,
"Uniting for Peace."

peace,
Jim

> [...]
>
>Additional United Nations Security Council members' Email addresses:
>
>mexico at un.int, ang-un at angolamissionun.org, chile at un.int, Pakistan at un.int,
>spain at spainemb.org, usa at un.int, IPRD at mfa.government.bg, syria at un.int,
>Guinea at un.int, Cameroon at un.int, uk at un.int
>
>= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>

>A U.N. Alternative to War: "Uniting for Peace"
>
>In the last few months, the Bush Administration has been unyielding in its
>march towards war, over the objections of some allies and despite the
>efforts of the United Nations. In response to France's threat that it would
>veto efforts by the United States to obtain a U.N. resolution authorizing
>the use of force against Iraq, President Bush said the United States would
>lead a "coalition of the willing to disarm Saddam Hussein." Prime Minister
>Tony Blair stated that the United States and Britain reserved the right to
>use force against Iraq--- even if a Security Council member vetoed a
>resolution authorizing the use of force. It now seems obvious that the
>United States, with some other countries, may soon go to war despite a veto;
>or, alternatively, go to war without returning to the Security Council and
>risking a veto. But for people around the world terrified that a new war in
>Iraq is inevitable, there may yet be hope. And that hope lies in a
>little-discussed mechanism of the United Nations itself—which, although it
>seems marginalized by American power, has the potential to stop the war.
>
>The Charter gives the Security Council "the primary responsibility for the
>maintenance of international peace and security." But the Security Council
>is currently unable to carry out this responsibility in light of U.S. plans
>to attack Iraq. The Council is stymied: The United States may bypass the
>Council entirely. And, if the Council tries to obtain passage of a
>resolution prohibiting the United States from using unauthorized force
>against Iraq, the United States or Britain will surely veto it.
>
>Long ago, the members of the United Nations recognized that such impasses
>would occur in the Security Council. They set up a procedure for insuring
>that such stalemates would not prevent the United Nations from carrying out
>its mission to "maintain international peace and security." In 1950, the
>United Nations by an almost unanimous vote adopted Resolution 377, the
>wonderfully named "Uniting for Peace." The United States played an important
>role in that resolutions adoption, concerned about the possibilities of
>vetoes by the Soviet Union during the Cold War.
>
>Uniting for Peace provides that if, because of the lack of unanimity of the
>permanent members of the Security Council (France, China, Russia, Britain,
>United States), the Council cannot maintain international peace where there
>is a "threat to the peace, breach of the peace or act of aggression," the
>General Assembly "shall consider the matter immediately
." The General