[Peace-discuss] Fw: [pf] successful non-violent overthrow of a dictator

Joan Cole jscole at advancenet.net
Sun Mar 23 13:23:27 CST 2003

>From another list...
>
> ... a successful bloodless revolution that managed to overthrow a dictator
without requiring a single gunshot.

> This successful non-violent action took place in the Philipines,
eventually causing the overthrow of Ferdinand Marcos. {The revolution of
1986; e.g.:
> http://www.frtommylane.com/stories/prayer/miracle_in_the_philipines.htm }
>
> This was a non-violent action performed with the support of the Catholic
Church.  In fact, it was a Cardinal of the Church that suggested the action,
to those who desperately sought his advice about Marcos. {Cardinal Sin of
the Archdiocese of Manila went live on Catholic-owned Radio Veritas, urging
people to stage a peaceful protest. D.M.}

> At the Cardinal's suggestion, people came and filled the streets.  Mass
was continually performed by priests throughout various street corners.  It
was a huge non-violent vigil and statement of worship that continued to grow
and grow, and one which refused to end.
>  - {The above report by a Philipino also says: "praying almost
unceasingly, singing religious and protest songs, listening to the news over
Radio Veritas and appealing to the soldiers.  People kept vigil for almost a
week and literally broke bread with the military.  Food was shared by all of
those who kept vigil in the streets.  Soldiers were also handed Rosaries and
flowers.  Family members took turns in the street.  Masses and prayer vigils
were held in all churches." D.M.}

> So Marcos finally stepped down.
>
> I think that it's the sheer numbers of those who "bear witness" -- not
chanting, not "street theater", not the breaking of windows, not screaming
slogans -- that will help turn the tide against this war and will gain
support for the anti-war movement.

> Those demonstrators who choose to break windows (for example, such violent
actions recently performed in San Francisco) simply play into the hands of
Bush IMO.  They help frighten people away from the vigils, and they help
justify Bushie arguments against any form of dissent.

> Furthermore, I believe that those who choose to break windows and burn
cars (for example) during non-violent actions can very well be "plants" to
instigate hostility against protest.  For that reason, IMO non-violent
protesters should be quick to condemn any such behavior.  Not just show it a
blind eye.