[Peace-discuss] US military thugs

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 11:46:55 CST 2003

Thanks for sending this, Carl-

I think we all know this brutality is shocking and
obviously has no place in a democracy.  I think Carl
may be right that we can expect more of this, but I
also think Doug is right that it isn't particularly
new.  Black, Latino and Native Americans especially
have encountered this kind of treatment almost without
interruption, with technological changes, for
generations.

What is significant about this, in my opinion, is that
once again -- as in the 1960s -- increasing numbers of
middle class white folks are experiencing and indeed
confronting this underbelly of democracy if you will,
and speaking out about it.  Many North Americans who
would not necessarily sympathize with people of color
who are mistreated have been hearing more and more
tales of this sort since November 1999 (Seattle).
Sometimes they have even found themselves
peppersprayed or shot with wooden dowels, etc., as
they were in Oakland recently when police attacked a
group of old ladies and shot at longshoremen standing
several yards away from a peaceful demonstration.

We would do well to remember that Iraq, Afghanistan
and Palestine are not the only militarily occupied
countries in the world.  In a sense, we are one, too.

Ricky

--- "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>