[Peace-discuss] Re: AWARE's Third Fourth

ppatton at uiuc.edu ppatton at uiuc.edu
Thu May 20 20:57:07 CDT 2004

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 5
>Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:37:05 -0500
>From: "Phil Stinard" <pstinard at hotmail.com>
>Subject: [Peace-discuss] AWARE's Third Fourth
>To: peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com
>
>Keeping in mind Al's suggestion, let me rephrase my
proposal.  I would
>suggest a float with people dressed as Bush, Cheney,
Rumsfeld, and Rice
>holding their boots on the necks of people dressed as Iraqui
civilians, with
>the slogan "DON'T be all that you can be, be moral." (or
perhpaps, "Be
>morally responsible")
>
>I don't think that a float filled with warm fuzzies about
ideals, etc., is
>appropriate in the light of the current situation.  Just a
suggestion.

>--Phil

I favor a float with a positive theme, but with specific
political content rather than vague "warm fuzzies".  For
example, the overall theme, as suggested by some others might
be "Be all you can be- work for peace".  The float might be
divided into sections depicting specific principles for a
peaceful world including:

*international law
this portion of the float might depict George Bush and Osama
Bin Laden behind bars for their crimes
*human rights
This part might include a hood and shackles in a garbage can,
and a brused, beaten Iraqi being treated by a doctor.
(this would allude to Iraqi abuse while maintaining a
positive tone. Unfortunately, it might be too complicated for
the audience to get it)
*economic justice
a farmer surrounded by produce being sold at a just price
*sustainable technology
this part might depict windmills and solar panels
*compassion and non-violence
large pictures of King and Gandhi

A float that depicts the abuse of Iraqis in too gruesome
terms might alienate people rather than win supporters.
Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-328-4064
homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein