[Peace-discuss] missed opportunity to reach the community around Obama

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 21 22:32:18 CDT 2005

I'm not sure about the first sentence, but the rest of this
is, wretchedly enough, true.  The war was properly described
at tonight's meeting as a racist war (the continuation of
which, we should be clear, Sen. Obama supports).  Although the
source of the war is not racism, it's racist in two ways: (1)
Americans are mobilized to kill and torture Arabs (and
Muslims -- often the distinction is not made) by racist
appeals about what Arabs/Muslims have done to us, and how
despicable they are; and (2) an American underclass,
disproportionately indexed by race, is recruited to do the
torturing and killing.  --CGE