[Peace-discuss] The U.S. Occupation of Iraq: Three Perspectives (fwd)

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 2 00:25:07 CST 2005

I have also just read the 3 articles. They did help to clarify my
thinking a bit, but I don't think there is anything startling here.
Perusek is perhaps the best one. He emphasizes the diversity of the
opposition movements and says that there are a wide range of
possibilities in 2005. The situation is fluid and unstable. He notes
the weakness of the secular left and doesn't expect much from it, but I
couldn't figure out what he was saying in terms of possible solidarity
work. His ending also seems obscure.  "Cynics will say that the Bush
administration knew all along that their aggressive policy toward Iraq
would provoke the reaction that it has....necessitating ever larger
American military budgets, and ever more aggressive interventions
around the world."  However, he doesn't say if he is one of these
cynics.  On the other hand, Finger's much shorter article concludes his
anti-capitalist advice by stating explicitly that immediate US
withdrawal will "shakeout and fragment the reactionary forces of the
resistance, artificially united in opposition to a common foe."  This
is a nice sentiment but where is the evidence? Hamad also warns against
supporting reactionary organizations opposing the US occupation.  He
does try to explain why secular progressive voices are missing.

I don't know where any of this leaves us.  It would be nice to find
organizations to support, but there does not seem to be much on the
ground.  There doesn't seem to be any Ho Chi Minh in Iraq or any large
organization worthy of our support.  Maybe Finger is right, but whether
or not he is, the US is the problem and the solution must involve
getting the troops out of there.

On Feb 1, 2005, at 11:16 PM, Morton K.Brussel wrote:

> I've gotten through Perusek's analysis, and found it compelling.
> Thanks for the reference. mkb
>

> On Jan 31, 2005, at 3:03 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>
>> [From the current New Politics, Vol. X, No. 2, Winter 2005, Whole No.
>> 38
>> <http://www.wpunj.edu/newpol/issue38/cont38.htm>.  --CGE]
>>
>>         We are pleased to present three distinct viewpoints on the
>> ongoing
>> U.S. occupation of Iraq. Each contribution addresses such critical
>> issues
>> as the forthcoming elections, the declared and undeclared aims of the
>> Bush
>> administration, and the nature of the resistance. As always, New
>> Politics
>> invites further discussion and comment from our readers.
>>
>> * Self-determination and Democracy in the Iraqi Conflict, Barry Finger
>>
>> 	<http://www.wpunj.edu/newpol/issue38/finger38.htm>
>>

>> * Unraveling Iraq: The Sociopolitical and Ethical Dimensions of
>> Resistance, Wadood Hamad
>>
>> 	<http://www.wpunj.edu/newpol/issue38/hamad38.htm>
>>
>> * A Horizon Lit With Blood: The U.S. Occupation and Resistance in
>> Iraq,
>> Glenn Perusek
>>
>> 	<http://www.wpunj.edu/newpol/issue38/perusek38.htm>
>>
>> 	###