[Peace-discuss] Obama brochure

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 25 16:06:29 CDT 2005

It was an attack on the views of a senator who tries to
position himself as a progressive but is not, notably in
regard to the war (and on the view that he should be allowed
to get away with it); it was not of course "an attack on
liberals in general."

The damage you refer to seems to have been the rancor of one
black Democrat.  The proper damage that was done --  we should
have done more of it -- was the exposure of Obama's position,
which purports to be critical of the administration on the war
but in fact agrees with it.  Obama accurately says (in his
words), "There's not that much difference between my position
and George Bush's position ... the difference, in my mind, is
who's in a position to execute."

What is Obama's "full position" that is not adequately
represented by the quotations form him in the article? Has he
renounced any of the quotations?  How is the meaning of any of
them changed by "context"?

Obama seems to show a certain lawyerly deficiency in openness
(as we saw in John Roberts last week). E.g., in the Senate
this week he voted *against* requiring public disclosure of
pork-barrel items in the final version of this year's
agricultural appropriations bill. Even Durbin voted for it.

--CGE