[Peace-discuss] When a Cartoon is not a Cartoon

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 15:30:57 CST 2006

This link was passed along to me:

Dear colleagues,

In case you aren’t award of it today’s Daily Illini
reprinted six of the offensive cartoons originally
published in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.
Some students may want to discuss some of the issues
raised thereby. I thought the most useful thing for
now would be to circulate a brief primer on the issue
of images in Islamic culture and on the cartoons
specifically, which I am attaching and copying below.
For an eloquent discussion of the issues raised by the
cartoons I recommend a piece by our own Behrooz
Ghamari-Tabrizi
http://www.iranian.com/Ghamari/2006/February/Cartoon/index.html

Kenneth M. Cuno, Director

Program in South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies

220 International Studies Building, MC-489

910 South Fifth Street

Champaign, IL 61820