[Peace-discuss] Population control

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 22 23:53:02 CST 2006

Population control is not a solution to war, as was suggested
this evening. War occurred when there many times fewer people
on the Earth than there are now.

Population control is also not a solution to poverty, as was
suggested this evening. There have always been poor among us.

Population control is a choice that the rich and educated can
only make for themselves. I am one of the lucky ones; I am
rich, well-educated, and therefore powerful -- and I refuse
to support the forcing of population control on those who are
not as lucky as I.

I, as one who loves ecological balance, recognize the
disharmony that the human population has thrown the Earth
into, yet I do not desire to destroy the human population as
a whole nor as a part. Honestly, if we were to choose a part
to control, we would be better off controlling the largest
consumers of the finite resources, not the subsistence
survivors.

-karen medina