[Peace-discuss] Rewording

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 4 14:51:12 CDT 2007

John W. wrote:

> ...The proper question is not "Who is most criminal?" but
> rather "What can we do to attenuate the cycle of violence and predation
> in the world and in our own community?"

The USG would reply, not without some semblance of reason, "Destroy
oppressive dictatorships and suppress Islamofascism."  If they're wrong,
it's important to say why.  It's not a matter of indifference.

> In the end, though, I'm not sure what difference it all makes.  Violent
> revolution is generally not a desirable thing, and quite impossible in
> America at the present time.  Institutional change is normally
> incremental and cyclical.  And on the grand scale, nothing has really
> changed in a thousand years except for the technological sophistication
> with which we make war on one another.  The masses vary in their degree
> of ignorance, but Joe Sixpack has no idea what the hell you're talking
> about most of the time, and you don't have a corner on the "truth"
> anyway...

Your world-weariness and contempt for the general populace is unearned.
  On these matters it's important to say what the truth is.

Longitudinal studies by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at
the University of Maryland and the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations
show that the two political parties are far to the right of the
population on issue after issue.

What's happened is that the public is far removed from the bipartisan
political system and the carefully-constructed culture of the
ideological institutions -- the academy and MSM.  The parties and those
institutions are working frantically to pull them back in.  (For a good
example, see the new book by Barack Obama -- who knows exactly what he's
doing -- The Mendacity of Hope.) The main task of the Democratic party
in the last six month has been to neutralize the anti-war vote last fall.

For example, we're told that your "Joe Sixpack" is irretrievably
jingoistic, but since 1970 some 70% of our fellow citizens have been
choosing "the war was not a mistake, it was fundamentally wrong and
immoral," when asked to describe the Vietnam War in the CCFR poll.

A large majority of the public believe that the US should accept the
jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court and the World Court,
sign the Kyoto protocols, allow the UN to take the lead in international
crises, and rely on diplomatic and economic measures more than military
ones in the “war on terror.” Similar majorities believe the US should
resort to force only if there is “strong evidence that the country is in
imminent danger of being attacked,” thus rejecting the bipartisan
consensus on “pre-emptive war” and adopting a rather conventional
interpretation of the UN Charter. A majority even favor giving up the
Security Council veto, hence following the UN lead even if it is not the
preference of US state managers.

Overwhelming majorities of the public favor expansion of domestic
programs: primarily health care (80%), but also aid to education and
Social Security.  Similar results have long been found in these studies
(CCFR).  Other mainstream polls report that 80% favor guaranteed health
care even if it would raise taxes.

It is notable that such views are held by people in virtual isolation.
They rarely hear them (except from groups like AWARE), and it is not
unlikely that respondents regard their own views as idiosyncratic.
Their preferences do not enter into the political campaigns, and only
marginally receive some reinforcement in articulate opinion in media and
journals.

Though it is natural for doctrinal systems to try to induce pessimism,
hopelessness and despair, the real lessons are quite different.  They
are encouraging and hopeful. They show that there are substantial
opportunities for education and organizing, including the development of
potential electoral alternatives.  As in the past, rights will not be
granted by benevolent authorities, or won by intermittent actions -- a
few large demonstrations after which one goes home, or pushing a lever
in the personalized quadrennial extravaganzas that are depicted as
“democratic politics.” As always in the past, the tasks require
day-to-day engagement to create -- in part re-create -- the basis for a
functioning democratic culture in which the public plays some role in
determining policies, not only in the political arena from which it is
largely excluded, but also in the crucial economic arena, from which it
is excluded in principle.

These results indicate that activists have not done their job effectively.

The center of gravity of elite opinion has moved to the right in the
Clinton-Bush years. But opinions of the public remain roughly social
democratic, as they've always been.  It's up to the intellectual
liberals to makes sure you dismiss them.

> I calls 'em as I sees 'em.  I'm not sure what the devil thinks of me,
> but I don't fear him in the slightest.

Perhaps you should.