[Peace-discuss] George Carlin

tvchick at insightbb.com tvchick at insightbb.com
Wed Mar 28 13:30:56 CDT 2007

There is also the fact that every time a station is reported to the FCC for breaking a rule there are usually fines involved. Some larger market areas that employ DJ's like Howard Stern have it within their budget to pay these fines whenever they are issues. In a rather twisted fashion the obscenity statutes also function as a money maker for the FCC.

You will not see the same standards being applied to print media. So what the News-Gazette might get away with in terms of their news and advertising practices could get WCIA in hot water.

Regarding the US Supreme Court many of their decisions during the period of the 1950's thru 1970's actually loosened some of the strictures that had been placed on the First Admendment. Miller v. California was a case where a man got arrested for wearing a jacket that said "F**k the Draft" and the Supreme Court ruled in his favor.  This was also a time period when Thurgood Marshall, who initially became famous as the lawyer that argued Brown v The Board of Education, had by that time been appointed to the Supreme Court (1967) - and he was a strong advocate of free speech, even when the speech itself was unpopular.

Peace, Marti