[Peace-discuss] January in DC

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 18 17:31:21 CST 2008

*January in DC*
http://afterdowningstreet.org/january

<http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/38350>

*1/6* Capitol Hill: March of the Dead on Opening Day of Congress: help
us carry the names of those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and demand
that Congress end the occupations. Contact: arrestbush at gmail.com

*1/6-31* Ask Congress members to sign onto Rep. Nadler's resolution
<http://www.democrats.com/nadler-pardon-resolution> against Bush
pardoning crimes he authorized.

*1/8* Madam's Organ: Peace Center Happy Hour. Details
<http://www.washingtonpeacecenter.net/civic/node/1176>.

*1/10* Annapolis: Polar Bear Plunge. Details
<http://www.washingtonpeacecenter.net/civic/node/1193>.

*1/11* White House /*and around the country*/: Demonstrate on
anniversary of Guantanamo prison camp beginning operations. Demand an
end to unlawful detentions, rendition, torture, and murder. Promote the
prosecution of those responsible, and oppose unconstitutional
presidential pardons of crimes authorized by the president. Join with
Witness Against Torture <http://www.witnesstorture.org/>, and World
Can't Wait <http://www.worldcantwait.org/>.

*1/15-19* Dupont Circle: Performances, speeches, merchandise,
literature, and gathering point.

*1/17-18* U. of D.C.: Progressive Democrats of America Annual Grassroots
Leadership Conference. Register now
<https://www.thedatabank.com/dpg/309/donate.asp?formid=meet&c=487065> to
join progressive congress members, strategists, and activists for a
conference that's all about what we need to do and how we can get it done.

*1/17* Friends Meeting of Washington: Film: "MLK Jr, A Historical
Perspective." Details
<http://www.washingtonpeacecenter.net/civic/wpc_film_mlk>.

*1/19* Shoe Bush! Your last chance to hit Bush in the face with your
shoes while he's president: http://shoebush.org

*1/19* Bethesda: Annual MLK Day protest at war profiteering Lockheed
Martin. Contact: pete4peace at gmail.com

*1/19-20* Pennsylvania Ave: Join us with your Arrest Bush & Cheney
sweatshirt <http://www.wavelengthclothing.com/impeach_bush.html> on the
sidewalk in front of the FBI building where we have a permit for
thousands and will have signs, food, blankets, and busses for a 24-hour
vigil leading up to the inaugural parade. We'll put the ARREST BUSH
message front and center on the parade route: http://www.arrestbush2009.com

*1/19-20* Be prepared to react
<http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/37947> to Bush pardoning crimes
that he himself authorized. This will be unprecedented and
unConstitutional.

*1/20* McPherson Square: rally for peace and justice.

*1/20* Peace protest organized by World Can't Wait
<http://www.worldcantwait.org/>.

*1/20* Smithsonian National Postal Museum: Inaugural Peace Ball:
http://www.peaceball.org

*1/25* Vigil at Walter Reed Hospital. Details
<http://www.codepink4peace.org/calendar.php?id=2205>.

*1/1-31* Busboys and Poets at 14th and V Northwest and 5th and K
Northwest: place to hang out and eat and drink and groove.

---