[Peace-discuss] chilly reception on Florida Avenue

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 6 14:56:43 CDT 2008

John Wason wrote:
>   as we turned right from Lincoln onto Florida and
>   entered the "Champaign domain", our reception got
>   decidedly chilly.  Lots of glares and very little
>   applause.  It was really quite remarkable, like
>   driving from bright sunlight into a driving rain.

We have a few theories on the difference between Lincoln and Florida Avenues.

Yours is one.
Mort suggested that the people on Lincoln are those who walk from their homes
on the very liberal "state streets" [Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, Michigan, ...
aka the "faculty slums"]

As a person from Champaign myself, I think the above situation is compounded
by a few things:
1) Those on Florida are sitting in the sun longer, so maybe their brains are a bit
too warm by the time the floats come by.
2) People also come from farther away than Champaign. I recognized several
people that I know are from small towns nearby. So Champaign residents are
not to take the entire blame.

A great many people on Florida were indeed quiet, but I also noticed that some
of the quiet ones were people who I know are for our cause. It was a long
parade, we were number 60, the sun was warm, there were many things
demanding attention, and there is the crowd effect -- if the people next to you
are quiet, you are also quiet -- if the people next to you are cheering, you at
least think about cheering.

Even with all this, our reception on Florida was not what could be described as
cold. I counted at most 5 individuals that were outwardly negative to us. Many
people were applauding us. This is by far the warmest reception I could have
dreamt of. It was all beautiful. Lincoln Avenue was the most beautiful.

-karen medina