[Peace-discuss] India and the Somali pirates

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 15:34:12 CST 2008

My impresssion is that the pirates (aka Somali fishermen whose livelihoods have been affected by all the trafficking in the area) aren't interested in the ship's goods beyond what they bring for ransom. They board the ship, hold it captive, name their price to release the ship instead of blowing it up. The ships bring a hefty ransom because they're carrying valuable cargo -- oil or guns -- which they don't want destroyed. Once the pirates are paid off (e g a deal is struck to deliver goods, food, etc) to particular village(s), the ship, crew and cargo are released unharmed. I'm surprised the big guns allow the priates to board, but I'm sympathetic to their cause, kinda like Robin Hood, redistribution of weatlth.

Speaking of India, problems again w/ natives fighting Coca Cola for their water rights -- Coca Cola needs tons and tons of gallons of it to keep their plants going. Haven't we heard this before???
 --Jenifer