[Peace-discuss] Re: War on drugs

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Sep 23 17:34:41 CDT 2008

Actually the term War on Drugs was coined by Richard Nixon and further
promoted by others as you note.
One of the most unfortunate things about the so-called Christian Right
is that quite often is not Christian, and concerning the
teachings of Christ, they have it mostly Wrong.  One of the main
precepts of Christ is that you cannot create good behaviour
by enforcement of a set of rules.  Most of your so-called Christian
Right are modern day Pharisees and Sadducees, Judaizers who
have either not read the simple precepts of the book of Galatians, or
maybe they did and either they just don't get it
or maybe they chose to reject it because they can have more power and
money that way.

Much of the present background law prohibiting the use of marijuana was
directed at the use of hemp as an industrial fiber,
which was backed by the DuPont corporation in the 1930s because hemp
fiber was in competition with DuPont's synthetic fibers
such as nylon.   This information adds significantly to the bogus-ness
of the whole matter.

Of course I am in favour of a rather uncompromising repeal of the drug
laws and a drastic reduction in the authority and scope of the
the DEA and FDA.  That could be too much of a bite to take at once.

I really am ignorant about how much authority local (city, county)
government has to countervene on behalf of the citizenry against the
Illinois drug laws.
Any scholarly advice on this would be useful.

I suspect that the Federal laws may be wholly unconstitutional,
considering that constitutional amendments were deemed necessary to
invoke&repeal alcohol prohibition.

I would favour local action to detoxify local drug laws to the maximum
possible extent, and cutting through as many of the intermediate
steps as possible.  I perceive moderation  in this case to be agreement
with the legitimacy of the present law.  I have no present information
on the scope or degree of resolve among the opposition (those who want
to maintain the status quo).  I do see that those who favour the status quo,
the legal profession, law enforcement, etc., have a stake in the matter
(dirty hands) which should be played against them to their extreme
non-benefit.

I am not on the courtwatch list (as far as I know) but they might be
watching (who knows).