[Peace-discuss] What Kissinger Said: "I Do Not Believe That We Can Make Conditions"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 28 16:23:32 CDT 2008

For today's quiz, name (without googling) the pundit who expresses this
generally accurate opinion of Kissinger, McCain and Obama:

"...the true farce and disgrace is that this increasingly glassy-eyed old
blunderer and war criminal [sc. Kissinger], who has been wrong on everything
since he first authorized illicit wiretapping for the Nixon gang, should be
cited as an authority by either nominee, let alone by both of them. Meanwhile, I
repeat my question from two weeks ago: Does Sen. Obama appreciate, or do his
peacenik fans and fundraisers realize, just how much war he is promising them if
he is elected? Once again on Sept. 26 in Mississippi -- at the end of a week
when American and Pakistani forces had engaged in their first actual direct
firefight -- he repeated his intention of ignoring the Pakistani frontier when
it came to hot pursuit of al-Qaida. Out-hawked on this point, as he was nearly
out-doved on the Kissinger one, McCain was moderate by comparison. Obama went on
to accuse Iran of having built more centrifuges than most people think it has.
This allegation has a confrontational logic of its own, above and beyond the
minor issues of preconditions and the 'level' of diplomacy ... the debate would
look more intelligent, and be conducted on a higher plane, if it excluded a
discredited pseudo-expert who has trampled on human rights, vandalized the U.S.
Constitution, deceived Congress, left a trail of disaster and dictatorship
behind him, and deserves to be called not a hawk or a dove but a vulture."