[Fwd: [Peace-discuss] First Black President Defeats U.S. Antiwar Movement]

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Wed Apr 15 22:20:12 CDT 2009

>"Obama pretends he wants peace, and anti-war members of Congress pretend to

>believe him."

While true enough, I believe that it probably is more accurate to say,
"Obama pretends he wants peace, and a LARGE NUMBER OF AMERICANS pretend to
believe him."  However, I do not think that that would make as influential a
slogan for a flyer as the original.

Similarly, the second quote is equally true; but its use on a flyer would
raise claims about racism if it were being distributed by an all white
middle class antiwar group as contrasted to a Black group.

The third quote is certainly the case but it would mean that many who voted
for him and support the Democratic Party would have to admit to either error
or being mislead.  I tend to doubt that would happen to any great extent
resulting many who might be attracted to the cause becoming defensive which
would undermine the effectiveness of the flyer.

The other quotes also are certainly true; but  the fourth quote is much too
long for a flyer and the last quote would make anti-war activists defensive
and might result in undermining their motivation to become more active them
rather than motivating them to fight to take control of the antiwar movement
back from the pretenders.

I think that such things are considerations when selecting slogans for
flyers or posters.