[Peace-discuss] What President Obama Promised in Cairo

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:22:02 CDT 2009

U.S. policy in the broader Middle East over the next four years will
be judged in the region according to whether the pledges that
President Obama made in Cairo today are kept.

So it's important for Americans to know what those pledges were.
Because when right-wing voices in America try to undermine those
pledges, they'll be undermining U.S. national security by trying to
force President Obama to break faith with the Arabs and Muslims of the
world to whom he made those pledges today.

The text and video are here. I encourage Americans to watch the speech
in addition to reading the text, because in watching the speech, you
also get the reaction of the audience - in particular, the vigorous
applause - which has the effect of underscoring the pledges that
President Obama made.

In what follows, I will highlight some of the President's statements
on the Palestinians, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, and democracy, and what
the President said about extremist violence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/what-president-obama-prom_b_211486.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/6/4/15324/30213

--
Robert Naiman