[Peace-discuss] Obama's speech

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Thu May 21 15:37:38 CDT 2009

Comments by Glenn Greenwald.

…

UPDATE:  Immediately reacting to speeches of this type, as I've done
here, is always a perilous undertaking, since it generally helps to be
able to reflect on what one has heard.  It ought to be apparent that
my reaction to Obama's speech was fairly mixed.  There were some very
well-delivered and well-argued parts -- ones that were important.  And
one sees the potency of the bipartisan political opposition -- and the
vindictive conniving from some of  Washington's permanent power
centers in the intelligence and military community -- triggered by
even by the mildest of changes, such as the closing of Guantanamo and
the release of the OLC memos.  Challenging that opposition, even
rhetorically, entails political costs and deserves some credit.  But
I'm always going to assess Obama based on what he does, not on what he
says.

Ultimately, what I find most harmful about his embrace of things like
preventive detention, concealment of torture evidence, opposition to
investigations and the like is that these policies are now no longer
just right-wing dogma but also the ideas that many defenders of his --
Democrats, liberals, progressives -- will defend as well.  Even if
it's due to perceived political necessity, the more Obama embraces
core Bush terrorism policies and assumptions -- we're fighting a "war
on terror"; Presidents have the power to indefinitely and
"preventatively" imprison people with no charges; we can create new
due-process-abridging tribunals when it suits us; the "Battlefield" is
everywhere; we should conceal evidence when it will make us look bad
-- the more those premises are transformed from right-wing dogma into
the prongs of bipartisan consensus, no longer just advocated by Bush
followers but by many Obama defenders as well.  The fact that it's all
wrapped up in eloquent rhetoric about the rule of law, our
Constitution and our "timeless values" -- and the fact that his
understanding of those values is more evident than his predecessor's
-- only heightens the concern.

So now, we're going to have huge numbers of people who spent the last
eight years vehemently opposing such ideas running around arguing that
we're waging a War against Terrorism, a "War President" must have the
power to indefinitely lock people away who allegedly pose a "threat to
Americans" but haven't violated any laws, our normal court system
can't be trusted to decide who is guilty, Terrorists don't deserve the
same rights as Americans, the primary obligation of the President is
to "keep us safe," and -- most of all -- anyone who objects to or
disagrees with any of that is a leftist purist ideologue who doesn't
really care about national security.  In other words, arguments and
rhetoric that were once confined to Fox News/Bush-following precincts
will now become mainstream Democratic argumentation in service of
defending what Obama is doing.  That's the most harmful part of this
-- it trains the other half of the citizenry to now become fervent
admirers and defenders of some rather extreme presidential "war powers."

UPDATE II:  There's very little worth saying about the speech Dick
Cheney deliveredafter Obama's.  It's just the same recycled, extremist
neoconservative pablum that drove the U.S. into the deep ditch in
which it currently finds itself.  The central Cheneyite claim -- they
were right because they prevented another Terrorist attack on the
Homeland -- is so patently ludicrous, since (a) they presided over
9/11; (b) the post-9/11 antrax attacks happened "on their watch"; (c)
Clinton "kept the country safe" for almost 8 years after the first
World Trade Center attack (and, therefore, by Cheney's reasoning,
Clinton's terrorism approach must have been optimal); and (d) it
assumes without demonstrating that we're unable to defend ourselves
unless we torture people, spy without warrants, and generally act like
lawless, barbaric cretins.

I spent most of the first couple of years after I began writing, in
late 2005, focused principally on the corruption and destruction
wreaked by America's Right (with a secondary focus on their Democratic
enablers).  I did that because, back then, that was who mattered.  I
tend to ignore the Cheneyite Right now because they matter far less
and their glaring flaws are manifest to most people, not because I
think they're any less worthy of scorn and contempt.

UPDATE III:  Upon further reflection, and after reading D-Day's
reaction to Obama's speech, one point I made in the immediate
aftermath of the speech isn't really accurate.  Obama did not, as I
inaccurately wrote, "demand[] that there be no investigations or
accountability for those who repeatedly broke the law."  Instead, he
said that he personally is not interested in "re-litigating" those
issues, and that he opposes an independent Truth Commissions, but also
said:

I have opposed the creation of such a Commission because I believe
that our existing democratic institutions are strong enough to deliver
accountability. The Congress can review abuses of our values, and
there are ongoing inquiries by the Congress into matters like enhanced
interrogation techniques. The Department of Justice and our courts can
work through and punish any violations of our laws.

That seems consistent with what he has said in the past -- that it is
for the Attorney General to decide who should and should not be
prosecuted -- though, as D-Day points out, those statements seem
inconsistent with many of Obama's actions.  That, I think, is the key
point.  As Holly McLachlan says in Comments:  "Obama is a tremendous
speaker. The best I've seen in national politics during my adult
lifetime, without contest."  Nobody can give as persuasive and moving
a political speech as he can.  That's all the more reason to be
vigilant about judging him by his actions.

© 2009 Salon.com
Glenn Greenwald was previously a constitutional law and civil rights
litigator in New York. He is the author of the New York Times
Bestselling book "How Would a Patriot Act?," a critique of the Bush
administration's use of executive power, released in May 2006. His
second book, "A Tragic Legacy", examines the Bush legacy.