[Peace-discuss] Pro-war press

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jul 4 12:07:05 CDT 2010

The flagships of the semi-official US press showed the flag on the Fourth of
July by leading with pro-war spreads:

The WaPo headlined the words of America's Savior (or at least Obama's war's
savior), Gen. Petraeus: "In Afghanistan, 'we are in this to win'." The
appropriately resolute lede (datelined "KABUL") was, "Seizing the flags of U.S.
and NATO forces on Sunday morning, Gen David Petreus..." etc.

Meanwhile, the NYT went subliminal: a long story (continued online) and a large
front-page picture of a quadruple amputee whose limbs were blown off by a
"roadside bomb" in Iraq. (Remember, the press doesn't show pictures of the
wounded or dead in the Mideast war.)  The message seems to be, How could we turn
our backs on such bravery and sacrifice?

Brendan Marrocco is certainly brave and his sacrifice overwhelming, but it's
particularly shameful for the NYT, which supports the war, to use him as a cover
for US crimes in the Middle East.