[Peace-discuss] Lakoff Idiocy

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 17:43:10 CST 2011

Lakoff describes what conservatives believe:

"The market itself is seen in this way. The slogan, "Let the market decide"
assumes the market itself is The Decider. The market is seen as both natural
(since it is assumed that people naturally seek their self-interest) and moral
(if everyone seeks their own profit, the profit of all will be maximized by the
invisible hand). As the ultimate moral authority, there should be no power
higher than the market that might go against market values."

But this, in effect, with plenty of hypocrisy of course, is what plenty of
liberals (Thomas Friedman, etc.) believe. They may also say they beliee that
social welfare stuff, that education stuff. But bottom line, their Social
Darwinists. We're all Social Darwinists, unless we make a serious effort to
promote a society that is not. But many or most Democrats (perhaps as many as
Republicans) are, in my view, in a very real sense "market fundamentalists."

DG