[Peace-discuss] Fundamentalism Kills

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 28 19:27:34 CDT 2011

*Fundamentalism Kills
*Posted on Jul 26, 2011
By Chris Hedges

The gravest threat we face from [RETAIL, AS OPPOSED TO WHOLESALE -CGE]
terrorism, as the killings in Norway by Anders Behring Breivik underscore, comes
not from the Islamic world but the radical Christian right and the secular
fundamentalists who propagate the bigoted, hateful caricatures of observant
Muslims and those defined as our internal enemies. The caricature and fear are
spread as diligently by the Christian right as they are by atheists such as Sam
Harris and Christopher Hitchens. Our religious and secular fundamentalists all
peddle the same racist filth and intolerance that infected Breivik. This filth
has poisoned and degraded our civil discourse. The looming economic and
environmental collapse will provide sparks and tinder to transform this coarse
language of fundamentalist hatred into, I fear, the murderous rampages
experienced by Norway. I worry more about the Anders Breiviks than the Mohammed
Attas...

Full article at
<http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/fundamentalism_kills_20110726/?ln>.