[Peace-discuss] Fw: Did Ron Szoke's interest in film help spark Roger Ebert's interest in reviewing films?

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 21:22:40 UTC 2012

Seen this?? We all owe THANKS to Ron (the catalyst) Szoke!!

--- On Thu, 6/21/12, David Noreen  wrote:

Did Ron Szoke's interest in film help spark Roger Ebert's interest in reviewing films?   http://will.illinois.edu/news/spotstory/c-us-native-film-critic-turns-70-eberts-early-life/ Many of Ebert’s childhood friends say they expected him to do something special, but none guessed he would become a film
 critic. And a graduate student named Ron Szoke may have played a role in that development.  “One day I dropped in at the Daily Illini, where I believe Roger Ebert was the new editor, ” Szoke said. “I said ‘why don’t you have movie reviews? And so he said, write one and so I did, and they asked me for another one the next week, and it just continued on and on.” Szoke, who later taught philosophy at the U of I, said his reviews at least played a role in making his editor believe this was something that could be done. Ebert agrees:  “Szoke made a great impression on me. He knew an awesome lot about the movies, and made me keenly aware of my own paltry information,” Ebert said. “I went to the movies he recommended. He was a role model. I often think he must be privately amused by my choice of career, because he knew me when it was the last thing anyone would
 have predicted.”