[Peace-discuss] AWARE Farmer's Market prospects

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 00:08:04 UTC 2013

Something we should decide really soon: what is the future of AWARE at
the Farmer's Market?

We have one more indoor-market date coming: April 20th, already booked.

For the outdoor market, if we book for every week as we have been doing,
it's 27 Saturdays - from May 4th through November 2nd.

But the number of people actively working the Farmer's Market has been
really small - basically four regulars, Karen, Ron, Carl and I have been
there most weeks, along with quite a few others who've worked many times
when we needed you - thank to you, Rohn, Peggy, David, and others!

Still it's a pretty heavy burden on the regulars.   For my part, I don't
want to have to be there nearly every Saturday from May to November.  I
don't know whether others would want to take this on - if so, then
perhaps we could continue running every week.

But it certainly still seems valuable to me, and I think to others of us
as well, to have a public presence where we can have extended
conversations with people.   This fall we'll be coming on 12 years of
Global War on Terror, and it shows no sign of coming to an end. I
wouldn't want to give up on the Farmer's Market.

What I'd like to propose is that we switch to every other week - say the
second and fourth Saturdays of each month (that would be convenient for
me), or possibly the first and last Saturdays so that we could speak to
people in the hours before our monthly demonstrations, or some such
pattern which amounts to about two weekends per month. (I'd personally
like to not have the third Sat. committed.)

Anyway, that's my proposal.   I heard from Karen that she'd suggested
something similar at tonight's meeting.  What do others think?

It's best if we decide by this Friday, April 5th (saves 10% on the
cost).  If we continue with a double booth, it'd be $234 for the season
if we were there for 13 weeks, or $450 if we did it every week (which I
don't want to do, unless many new people really want to run the market
regularly).