[Peace-discuss] letter in the Washington Post: Sept. 11 authorization not applicable to Mali

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sun Jan 20 20:36:15 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Carl G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

> Of course you're right, Bob, but I doubt the situation will lead our newly
> inaugurated chief magistrate to exclaim, "Damn! I'd really like to help
> kill people in Mali, but I just can't do it because I lack legal
> authorization!"

Well. I certainly agree that if the White House really wanted to go in
deeper, they would figure out a way. But I don't think the White House
really wants to do it. I think there is a split between the White House and
the Pentagon. So reported the Los Angeles Times on Friday evening. I think
there is pressure from the Pentagon on the White House for more U.S.
military intervention, and I think the White House is so far substantially
resisting that pressure. If past experience is a guide, it is likely that
the pressure will increase, and the White House could substantially cave to
the pressure, not ground troops, but armed drones. I think outsiders should
weigh in before that happens.

In that context, it's useful for people to remember that there's a law
called the War Powers Resolution requiring Congressional authorization for
a new war. It's a speed bump. We should try to reinforce it.

naiman at justforeignpolicy.org