[Peace-discuss] Let's not fight between Bernie supporters and Tulsi supporters

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Mar 20 01:37:45 UTC 2019

Robert Naiman wrote:
> "Brothers and sisters, we must not fight each other between the Bernie
> supporters and the Tulsi supporters. We must unite against the common
> enemy: the Clinton-Pelosi-Harris-Booker supporters."

Sen. Sanders in his "Meet the Press" interview from 2016 --
https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/bernie-sanders-would-use-drones-to-fight-terror-542522435844

> Chuck Todd: What does counterterrorism look like in a Sanders
> administration? Drones? Special forces? Or what does it look like?
>
> Bernie Sanders: All of that and more.
>
> Chuck Todd: You're okay with the drone, using drones--
>
> Bernie Sanders: Look, drone is a weapon. When it works badly, it is
> terrible and it is counterproductive. When you blow up a facility or a
> building which kills women and children, you know what? Not only doesn't
> do us any -- it's terrible.
>
> Chuck Todd: But you're comfortable with the idea of using drones if you
> think you've isolated an important terrorist?
>
> Bernie Sanders: Yes.
>
> Chuck Todd: So that continues?
>
> Bernie Sanders: Yes.

Rep. Gabbard in her "Intercept" interview from 2018 --
https://theintercept.com/2018/01/17/intercepted-podcast-white-mirror/

> Jeremy Scahill: I’m wondering what your position, I know that in the
> past you have said that you favor a small footprint approach with
> strike forces and limited use of weaponized drones. Is that still your
> position that you think that’s the — to the extent that you believe the
> U.S. military should be used around the world for counterterrorism, is
> that still your position?
>
> Rep. Tulsi Gabbard: Well, when we’re dealing with the unconventional
> threat of terrorist groups like ISIS, al Qaeda and some of these other
> groups that are affiliated with them, we should not be using basically
> what has been and continues to be the current policy of these mass
> mobilization of troops, these long occupations and trillions of dollars
> going in, really abusing the Authorization to Use Military Force and
> taking action that expands far beyond the legal limitations of those
> current AUMFs.
>
> So, with these terrorist cells, for example, yes, I do still believe
> that the right approach to take is these quick strike forces, surgical
> strikes, in and out, very quickly, no long-term deployment, no
> long-term occupation to be able to get rid of the threat that exists and
> then get out and the very limited use of drones in those situations
> where our military is not able to get in without creating an
> unacceptable level of risk, and where you can make sure that you’re not
> causing, you know, a large amount of civilian casualties.
So it appears that Gabbard and Sanders are united against one common enemy:
anyone who objects to continuing the drone war.