[Peace-discuss] Jimmy Dore headed for an 'own goal' (self-induced embarrassment) soon?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Dec 25 02:44:25 UTC 2020

Jimmy Dore's interview with Jordan Chariton is online
(https://youtube.com/watch?v=PKB0H_SFoAg) and they cover Chariton's new Intercept
article (https://theintercept.com/2020/12/23/dnc-iowa-caucus-app-shadow/) on how the
DNC corporation rigged the 2020 Iowa DNC primary elections against Sen. Sanders and
for Pete Buttigieg (soon to become Transportation Secretary under Pres. Joe Biden).
But I suspect that Dore's support for "force the vote" and the People's Party will
come to conflict with each other.

The article details are, frankly, not that interesting to me because of the
structural elements that prevent me from seeing how that party's candidates were
cheated of anything when they ran in that party's so-called primary. Cutting to the
chase: corporate parties don't owe us small-d democracy, so elaborately complex
vote-counting rules (delegates, super-delegates, etc.) and voting app rigging strike
me as details that ignore the elephant in the room.

In that Jimmy Dore interview Chariton briefly mentions, but doesn't credit or quote,
DNC lawyer Bruce Spiva in his response to the disaffected 2016 Sanders supporters
(these Sanders supporters sued the DNC corporation after Sanders' campaign was
allegedly cheated out of a fair shot at that party's primary in 2016). Here's what
Spiva said to the court in that case:

 From http://jampac.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/042517cw2.pdf
> Bruce Spiva: [...] We're gonna, you know, choose our standard bearer, and we're
> gonna follow these general rules of the road, which we are voluntarily deciding,
> we could have — and we could have voluntarily decided that, Look, we're gonna go
> into back rooms like they used to and smoke cigars and pick the candidate that
> way. That's not the way it was done. But they could have. And that would have
> also been their right [...]

This, as far as I can tell, is a right and proper read on the situation for all
corporate-owned political parties which gets to the structural heart of the issue:
corporations can choose their "standard bearer" (a.k.a., 'primary winner' or
candidate) in any way they wish.

None of these parties owes us small-d democracy. That any of these parties bother to
put on the democracy theater of primary contests is a paean to democracy. To do what
is within their power and their right to do in the most efficient way -- simply
selecting and announcing their candidate -- those parties would be objected to,
particularly a party that calls themselves the "Democrats". So corporate-owned
parties don't do that. We end up with results that pit two neocons and neolibs
against each other and a Green Party that missed their moment to offer a compelling
alternative.

But in the end the same goal is reached. The rules are rigged to always favor
whomever the party bosses want and everyone knows this (there's even questions about
how the Greens ran their primary including serious allegations of rigging). This is
part of the reason why I say that Sanders was "allegedly cheated"; he knew what he
was doing all along and he knew the structural power the DNC possesses. Sanders, for
all I know, chose to work for the Democratic Party in 2020 like he did in 2016 in
order to lower the odds that that party would run a competitor against him in his
district. Sanders could serve that party's interests by being the "sheepdog
candidate" as the late Bruce Dixon rightly called him back in May 2015 (see
https://blackagendareport.com/bernie-sanders-sheepdog-4-hillary for that article).

Therefore I disagree with Jimmy Dore on two points related to this:

- Dore has previously advanced the argument that it's 'right-wing propaganda' to say
that Sanders wasn't cheated in his DNC primary runs. Sanders himself doesn't behave
as one who was cheated. In 2020 Sanders gave up his hallmark issue -- Medicare for
All -- and Sanders continues his M4A silence today as Dore pushes for forcing a
Medicare for All bill House floor vote (Dore has noticed this and pointed it out).
Dore calls Sanders names for being so docile and compliant to the Dems but Dore
doesn't clearly state the structural elements that are in place nor does Dore
acknowledge that Sanders just another Democrat in all but name.

- Dore is currently a firm backer of the People's Party (https://peoplesparty.org/)
but it's not clear to me that this new party will offer us any processes for deciding
on candidates that is any more small-d democratic than the Democrats. Nor is it clear
to me that the People's Party will be owned in such a way that makes the People's
Party structurally different than the Democrats. If there are no structural
differences, why should I believe that People's Party candidates will behave
differently than the Democrats whom they hope to supplant?

On a related note: I'm also not too keen on a party that invites self-described
Democratic Party loyalists (such as Rep. Tulsi Gabbard and Sen. Nina Turner, the
former was shown on a banner image with a lot of headshots, the latter opened their
2020 convention in https://youtube.com/watch?v=O5bRItA2ziI and recently announced a
Congressional run to replace Marcia Fudge who will become Secretary of Housing and
Urban Development in the Biden/Harris administration; she also declined Jill Stein's
offer to be her 2016 running mate in the Green Party telling Stein "I think the party
is worth fighting for. I believe that the Democratic Party is worth fighting
for."[1]). It seems to me that now more than ever we're seeing that (as Jimmy Dore
says) "the Democratic Party changes you, you don't change the Democratic Party" and
Dore offers compelling evidence to drive this point home by showing that no so-called
Democratic Party "progressives" in the House will take up the call to pressure
Speaker Pelosi to bring a floor vote for Medicare for All in exchange for their vote
to keep her as House Speaker.

I support the single-issue pressure to get Pelosi to bring Rep. Jayapal's Medicare
for All bill to the floor; I think that's a practical and easily-understood plan to
increase the odds that we get Medicare for All. But that support compels me to ask
what's the point in electing self-styled progressives if they won't use their
Congressional power when we most need them to, even if those progressives come from
some other party?

-J

[1]
https://www.salon.com/2016/09/08/nina-turner-reflections-on-the-political-revolutions-past-and-future/