[Peace-discuss] Russiagate revived by the New York Times and a bipartisan consensus of neocons

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Thu Jul 2 03:37:44 UTC 2020

Ray McGovern's latest for consortiumnews.com at
https://consortiumnews.com/2020/07/01/ray-mcgovern-new-york-times-deploys-heavy-gun-to-back-intel-on-russian-bounties/
starts:

> The New York Times is pulling out all the stops in promoting its dubious story on
> Russia offering bounty for dead U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.
>
> Wednesday’s installment, a “news analysis” by Times veteran writers David E.
> Sanger and Eric Schmitt, treats the allegations that Russia paid Taliban or
> Taliban-related terrorists to kill U.S. troops as flat fact:
>
> “Russia’s complicity in the bounty plot came into sharper focus on Tuesday as the
> The New York Times reported that American officials intercepted electronic data
> showing large financial transfers from a bank account controlled by Russia’s
> military intelligence agency to a Taliban-linked account.”
>
> This is presented as “bolstering other evidence of the plot, including detainee
> interrogations.” The take from the Afghan-run interrogations is, ipso facto,
> highly dubious; and we need to know a lot more about the alleged new “electronic
> data.”

This is the same David Sanger who told us about Iraqi WMD as "flat fact".

Related coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mMmJ17n3Q -- McGovern's interview with RT (which
includes footage of Congressional members reacting to Sanger's article as though it
is fact)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMfV0cr1_T4 -- Max Blumenthal & Aaron Maté (also
brings up the history of the US killing Russians in Afghanistan making Sanger's claim
look like what the US actually did)

-J