[Peace-discuss] "1619 Project" gets a TV/film deal, Bari Weiss quits NYT gig

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Jul 15 22:56:43 UTC 2020

https://deadline.com/2020/07/lionsgate-oprah-winfrey-nikole-hannah-jones-the-1619-project-1202980325/

> Lionsgate and media maven Oprah Winfrey have partnered with 2020 Pulitzer
> Prize-winning journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones and The New York Times to develop
> Hannah-Jones’ interactive project, The 1619 Project, along with the NYT podcast,
> 1619, into an expansive portfolio of films, television series and documentaries,
> unscripted programming and other forms of entertainment.
>
> Launched in August of 2019, on the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the first
> enslaved Africans in the English colonies, The 1619 Project is an ongoing series
> that connects the centrality of slavery in history with an unflinching account of
> the brutal racism that endures in so many aspects of American life today. With
> contributions from Black authors, essayists, poets, playwrights, and scholars, the
> project examines the legacy of slavery in America and how it shaped all aspects of
> society, from music and law to education and the arts, including the principles of
> our democracy itself.

Listed as a related story:
https://deadline.com/2020/07/new-york-times-bari-weiss-resigns-bullying-1202985236/

> Bari Weiss, staff editor and writer in The New York Times’ opinion section,
> resigned on Tuesday, decrying what she said was “constant bullying by colleagues
> who disagree with my views” and an environment where she said “self-censorship has
> become the norm.”
>
> “What rules that remain at The Times are applied with extreme selectivity,” she
> wrote in a lengthy resignation letter, which she posted to her personal website[1].
> “If a person’s ideology is in keeping with the new orthodoxy, they and their work
> remain unscrutinized. Everyone else lives in fear of the digital thunderdome.
> Online venom is excused so long as it is directed at the proper targets.”

[1] https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

Bari Weiss embarrassed herself on Joe Rogan's show
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T77uFdw9HJA) when she was caught repeating
establishment propaganda while claiming Rep. Tulsi Gabbard held "monstrous ideas…
she's an Assad toady" (see
https://sputniknews.com/society/201901231071755360-NYT-Columnist-Calls-Gabbard-Assad-Toady/)
just before it became clear that Weiss wasn't sure what "toadie" (as Weiss said)
meant, and Weiss offered no specific examples of these allegedly "monstrous ideas".

As Sputnik pointed out:

> Gabbard, who announced her presidential campaign on January 11, has drawn
> incredible amounts of ire from mainstream Democrats tripping over themselves for
> war with Syria because in January 2017, Gabbard met with Syrian President Bashar
> al-Assad and denounced the opposition rebels in the country's civil war as
> "terrorists." She has also expressed skepticism[1] about accusations that Assad's
> government has used chemical weapons during the conflict and spoken out against
> cruise missile attacks by the US and its allies against the country.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxdsw_8W46Q

So when Gabbard spoke against regime change war in Syria, she spoke against the
establishment interests which Weiss promotes (however clumsily).