[Peace-discuss] Tackling homelessness and why you can't trust the duopoly

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Jul 27 02:41:18 UTC 2020

Lee Camp (host of "Redacted Tonight") spoke about the coming eviction crisis in
https://invidio.us/watch?v=nsf_o0LqcvU -- as rent and eviction moratoriums end (with
no federal rent forgiveness in sight) and people lose their jobs thus making it less
likely to be able to pay back rent since March, there is a general expectation that
lots of people won't be able to pay their rent at the end of this month. Therefore
there will be lots of evictions and the homeless population will increase:

"Looming evictions may soon make 28 million homeless in U.S., expert says"
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/10/looming-evictions-may-soon-make-28-million-homeless-expert-says.html

> CNBC: How does the eviction crisis brought on by the pandemic compare with the
> 2008 housing crisis?
>
> Emily Benfer: We have never seen this extent of eviction in such a truncated
> amount of time in our history. We can expect this to increase dramatically in the
> coming weeks and months, especially as the limited support and intervention
> measures that are in place start to expire. About 10 million people, over a period
> of years, were displaced from their homes following the foreclosure crisis in
> 2008. We're looking at 20 million to 28 million people in this moment, between now
> and September, facing eviction.

"Ghost towns: 30 zip codes with the highest vacancy rates in the US"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/11/07/ghost-towns-america-zip-codes-highest-vacancy-rates/38371381/

> There are nearly 1.5 million vacant homes in the United States, or 1.5 percent of
> all homes, according to a new report from real estate data company ATTOM Data
> Solutions.

"The State of Homelessness in America"
https://endhomelessness.org/homelessness-in-america/homelessness-statistics/state-of-homelessness-report-legacy/

> There are an estimated 553,742 people in the United States experiencing
> homelessness on a given night, according to the most recent national
> point-in-time estimate (January 2017[1]). This represents a rate of approximately
> 17 people experiencing homelessness per every 10,000 people in the general
> population.
[1]
https://www.hudexchange.info/resource/5639/2017-ahar-part-1-pit-estimates-of-homelessness-in-the-us/

I think we ought to add to the criteria here because there are probably good reasons
to not live in Gary, Indiana or Flint, Michigan. But still it looks like we have a
lot of unused homes which could be someone's home.

It's worth noting that we got to where we are with a bipartisan effort; both major
parties (including so-called 'progressives') exploit the poor. Neither major party
has announced any plans to help those in need now. There is vague talk of another
stimulus but the details are unclear.

Finally, a related story:

"The Eviction Ban Worked, but It’s Almost Over. Some Landlords Are Getting Ready."
https://www.propublica.org/article/the-eviction-ban-worked-but-its-almost-over-some-landlords-are-getting-ready