[Peace-discuss] $14B+ for 2020 US POTUS election so far; almost enough to "effectively eradicate" US homelessness

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Nov 6 03:01:24 UTC 2020

According to https://youtube.com/watch?v=t5FNqYpfBPM the US 2020 POTUS election has
cost $14 billion so far (the final tallies are not in because the election results
are not yet final).

To put that into context (particularly in light of a pandemic in which rent payment
delays have run out or are running out soon with homelessness expected to rise):
According to the New York Times in
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/10/us/homeless-rates-steady-despite-recession-hud-says.html

> Mark Johnston, the acting assistant housing secretary for community planning and
> development, estimated that homelessness could be effectively eradicated in the
> United States at an annual cost of about $20 billion.

And Huffpost cites ThinkProgress in
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/homelessness-christmas-decorations_n_2276536 claiming:

> That's just slightly less money than Americans spend on Christmas decorations,
> according to an analysis from ThinkProgress.

It's as if there are some problems we should throw money at instead of handing more
money to the wealthiest people and businesses and funding an election where we only
really get to hear from two candidates neither of whom promise us what most people want.