[Peace-discuss] AOC says "the Green New Deal does leave the door open for nuclear"

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Oct 5 23:24:32 UTC 2020

Brussel, Morton K wrote:
> This is a useful article especially if one consults the links that are provided .
> As some of you know, I’ve been an advocate for the further development and use of
> nuclear power.

Then you should like what Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) recently said about nuclear
power. "Third Way Climate & Energy" carried this clip in
https://twitter.com/ThirdWayEnergy/status/1262803166053183488 ; here's what she said
in that clip:

> Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: You know, you bring up an important element of our
> energy mix which is nuclear. And this is absolutely a critical part of this
> conversation. And, so, one thing that I would just like to clarify is that the
> Green New Deal does leave the door open for nuclear. You are right: we name
> renewables like wind and solar specifically. The door is open for nuclear. But we
> also have to make sure that community input and the technology is vetted. I do
> believe that there is an open door there.

Jimmy Dore also covered this clip in https://youtube.com/watch?v=tRU8K402OK8 ("AOC
Now Open To NUCLEAR Green New Deal!?") including a description of the Twitter account
holder, Third Way Climate & Energy and an opposing view from Leona Morgan from Navajo
Nation.

Insofar as AOC is a spokesperson for the Democratic Party's vision of the Green New
Deal, it seems that the title "We Need a Nuclear New Deal, Not a Green New Deal" is
misstating the proposition; the way AOC put it, "the Green New Deal does leave the
door open for nuclear".