[Peace-discuss] Tweet from Michael Tracey (@mtracey)

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 2 21:24:36 UTC 2020

True, David, I don’t have the data, the evidence. I don’t know who these “anarchists”, or provocateurs? are. “AntiFa" is nebulous to me. I don’t trust the propaganda. I don’t know what proportion of the cities involved have their poor neighborhoods destroyed or damaged, a quantitative matter. But I do see a reawakened(?) sensitivity to racism by large segments of our population. It may be ephemeral. I do see the calamity of the coming election. I see no hope whatever in a Trump reelection. I see little hope, perhaps, for the climate and the environment(?), but far from sufficient, in a Biden win. But otherwise, all seems dire—the economy, militarism, inequality, injustice, nuclear threats, generally horrid foreign policy conflicts. I feel sorry for coming generations here.

One hopes that insightful analyses of the basic reasons for our predicaments can gain some traction in practical changes in policy, as you, or the Monthly Review, would like—an overriding worldwide empathetic social and environental conscience. I’m sure I won’t be around as a witness.

Mort