[Peace-discuss] Assange hearing updates

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Sep 15 23:11:54 UTC 2020

Another day of updates for you to read and watch. This is quickly becoming a
who's-who of the journalists who follow the Assange case at all.

-J

Jimmy Dore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSB8mB0XJek -- Noam Chomsky on Julian Assange's Trial
and silence of the press

Craig Murray

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/09/your-man-in-the-public-gallery-assange-hearing-day-9/

Consortium News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4GqkxcQQc4 -- Joe Lauria's report

Grayzone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vWGVH1YweU -- Max Blumenthal with Kevin Gosztola

Referenced articles:

https://thegrayzone.com/2019/06/24/new-york-times-media-us-government-approval/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/28/justice-department-is-right-indict-julian-assange/
is a Washington Post op-ed from Marc A. Thiessen which includes :
> Some are concerned that the newest Assange indictment will help set a precedent
> to go after investigative journalists who publish classified information. But as
> I wrote in 2010, unlike “reputable news organizations, Assange did not give the
> U.S. government an opportunity to review the classified information WikiLeaks was
> planning to release so they could raise national security objections.” So
> responsible journalists have nothing to fear.
https://thegrayzone.com/2020/05/29/british-court-assanges-physical-deterioration/

https://thegrayzone.com/2020/05/14/american-sheldon-adelsons-us-spy-julian-assange/

Side note: Proprietary software organizations want us all to report security bugs in
their programs to them and only them in what they usually refer to as "responsible
disclosure". They use the term "responsible" in the same way the neocon Thiessen did
above. It's important to the establishment for us to comply on their terms: they say
you should participate in the way the establishment wants, to the degree the
establishment wants, and only when the establishment wants. Proprietary software
organizations and their sycophants try to convince us that telling everyone about
their bugs (not keeping the proprietor's secrets) is dangerous -- what if the /wrong/
people use knowledge of those insecurities to take advantage? And thanks to the
overwhelmingly establishment-friendly tech media you will rarely hear anyone ask this
question of the proprietors who wrote the insecure software, kept users helpless by
denying users the freedom to control their computers through improving the software,
and kept users separate by forbidding users from helping each other by sharing the
improved software.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-09-10/us-demands-hinder-spanish-probe-into-alleged-cia-ties-to-security-firm-that-spied-on-assange.html

There are additional references, but in the interest of time getting these updates
posted, I'll leave the rest of this list as an exercise for the reader.

Shadowproof

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZVN3Ory5pHU -- Kevin Gosztola's report