[Peace-discuss] UK-funded disinformation campaigns aimed against Russia

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Feb 19 04:35:45 UTC 2021

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2021/02/new-documents-reveal-more-british-efforts-to-undermine-russia.html
-- "New Documents Reveal More British Efforts To Undermine Russia"

https://on.rt.com/b24h -- "Leaked papers allege massive UK govt effort to co-opt
Russian-language anti-Kremlin media & influencers to ‘weaken Russian state’"

Both reports cover one point which brought up something for me:

> A 'Supplier Event' for one of the projects laid out the general idea:
>
>     Programme Strands
>
> ENGAGE – working through the British Council to implement people-to-people
> activities between ethnic Russians and local communities to develop links along
> the lines of 21st century skills – includes English language skills and media
> literacy, social enterprises and cultural activities; > ENHANCE – supporting independent media in Russia’s near abroad to bring balance
> and plurality to Russian language media, in the Baltic States and Eastern
> Partnership countries;
> EXPOSE – by debunking and exposing Russian disinformation in real time, which can
> be reported in mainstream media with the goal to expose malign state
> disinformation in countries that are targeted by it. If you expose disinformation,
> it is less likely to be impactful; therefore, the Russian State becomes less
> credible.
> ENABLE – working with allied governments through the Government Communication
> Service to improve their strategic communications to their populations.

I'm reminded of Microsoft's "Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish" approach to dealing
with competition, in particular GNU/Linux operating systems. Thanks to a compliant
establishment computer press, today this plan continues with relatively little
critical examination or education for the IT crowd that think those days are in the past.